Guitar Build 2017!

In a novel by Gene Wolfe ("Knight", not K'niggits) an early teens boy cutting an Osage branch sets the whole story in motion. Elias, if you do cut the tree down, plant at least 3 seeds.

Not likely. They grow like weeds here. I'll be doing the other two that are being choked out a favor by thinning the herd a bit.
But I'm way ahead on planting trees. I've probably planted several thousand in my days. I'm a tree planting fool.

Ya know, I may have mentioned before that walnut is hard. You can see what that knot did to the planer. The area around it with the figuring is hard as ebony. Unreal.

image.jpg

The other side is pretty raw.

image.jpg

Not likely. They grow like weeds here. I'll be doing the other two that are being choked out a favor by thinning the herd a bit.
But I'm way ahead on planting trees. I've probably planted several thousand in my days. I'm a tree planting fool.
I think that diminishes the chance that you will be abducted by elves. But they are temperamental creatures.

Mrs G came out in the garage tonight and said "What's with all the wood being drug out?"
My mind racing feverishly in a futile attempt to come up with something good like "A new toaster cozy" or some shit, I blurted out "Um. A guitar?"
Expecting to hear "You know Avery's tuition is due. Are you out of your mind?" I was shocked to hear instead "What's it going to be?"

Only later did I get "You better make a list of parts so we can work it in the budget" talk. :grin: Way better than the "You aren't spending another dime on those things til I get my new kitchen!" that I was expecting.

Did I mention I have a pretty cool wife?
I can't say she really supports my follies but she indulges them with grace.

Here's the piece for the top blocked out so you can see what's what. Looks like a pretty good fit.
What you see here is half the bookmatch. The other side will line up where the maple stick is now. That'll be the center line. There will be mirrored curly knots at the bottom of the guitar.

image.jpg

And the figured area.

image.jpg

Still got a ways to go to get the rest of the planer gouges out but it's getting there.

Yeah, that's a more interesting grain pattern...the burl would be better if it were larger...you are going to need to crop back that strip of pulpwood...

Yeah, that's a more interesting grain pattern...the burl would be better if it were larger...you are going to need to crop back that strip of pulpwood...

Yeah. The board here is 12" wide. I only 7" of it so I can trim it back to the interesting stuff in the middle and lose all the pulp wood on the edge.

The first official Spreading of Glue and Clamping of Boards occurs 8/5/14. Two of the neck laminate pieces went together. (That would be the two in the center. The others are clamp blocks.)

image.jpg

Back