What do you look for in a good stage setup?

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
I've been adding to my gear so I have flexibility for running live sound in various environments.

I like running at least a pair of 15" two way mains, but large rooms and outside venues need 4 of them.

I usually run a pair of 18" subs but have upgraded to 4 of them for the venues that really require it.

I already had 4 12" passive monitors, but they were heavy and bulky so I just bought the 12" powered ones.

Channel wise, I only have 16 on the digital board but I have the 10 on the Mackie "12 channel" board if I was desperate for extra channels.

So what say you? wall of sound? 2 mains and the rest from your amps? coffee shop single speaker and my shit sounds like I'm trying to launch a rocket into space? #0f channels your band uses?

It really depends on the venue. Indoors in a bar I'd rather just have vocals going through the PA. In a large room or larger outdoor venue then the instruments go back into the mains and as little as I can get away with in the monitors.

Also for lights.... I like to run some LED par cans from the side just to cycle through some colors and pop the band from the back wall.

I've got some wall washes that are synchronized... and I have the big lighting truss for when I really need things to look huge. :tongue:

Also for lights.... I like to run some LED par cans from the side just to cycle through some colors and pop the band from the back wall.

I've got some wall washes that are synchronized... and I have the big lighting truss for when I really need things to look huge. :tongue:
We usually run a pair of LED par cans bolted to the fly points on each PA speaker for most gigs to fill in where the club lighting is lacking and sometimes a 3rd. See the speaker all the way to the left for the light:

936065_10152617001802425_5273452139880056137_n.jpg

It really depends on the venue. Indoors in a bar I'd rather just have vocals going through the PA. In a large room or larger outdoor venue then the instruments go back into the mains and as little as I can get away with in the monitors.

Interesting.... I like a little of everything in my monitor mix except heavier on my vocal and light on the bass (I can hear his amp on stage) and I've been playing back and forth with the electric... I think I'm almost preferring the guitar amp to be lower volume, off the corner of the stage, and I hear it come through my vocal monitor just like it would sit in the mix out front.

You don't mic the drums? I use a Beta 52 on the kick, a 57 on the snare, and a pair of 57's overhead with an 80/20 right left mix so the cymbals spread out in stereo in the pa mix.

Interesting.... I like a little of everything in my monitor mix except heavier on my vocal and light on the bass (I can hear his amp on stage) and I've been playing back and forth with the electric... I think I'm almost preferring the guitar amp to be lower volume, off the corner of the stage, and I hear it come through my vocal monitor just like it would sit in the mix out front.
Too much in the way of instruments in the monitor mix for me ends up cluttering what I'm hearing when I sing (and I need as much help as I can get with that) and I'd rather people play their instruments a little harder to fill the room and play with a better feel. The drummer in the All Star Trio mics EVERYTHING including amps and 3 mics on his drum set and the rhythm feel gets a little mushy whereas when I play with Tyler everything is much crisper feelwise since people don't baby their instruments because it seems too loud.

Cool. I can see how different drummers with different styles could fill up a monitor mix pretty fast.

Cool. I can see how different drummers with different styles could fill up a monitor mix pretty fast.
Yeah. I'd rather things be simpler, especially in a smaller room. And I always hate how my guitar sounds back through stage monitors too.

On the flip side, when I use the PRX 615's as monitors (same as mains) it gives me an idea of what my guitar does sound like mic'd up.

We have a pretty simple setup. Two 15" mains which mainly run vocals and kick/snare. We will mic the guitar amps but that is mainly for the monitor feeds so we can hear each other from across the stage....and that rarely works anyways. I would like to add a single powered 15" sub, but that would mean we would need a crossover as well. We have no lights at the present. A bar with maybe three or four LED pars would be nice...

We all have powered monitors but only two feeds....one for the lead singer (who can never hear himself....even with in ears) and one for the rest of us. I like my vocal, the main singer's vocal, and some of the other guitar player in my feed. I would much prefer that we all go to an in ear system, but we don't gig enough to make that financially viable.

whatever the sound man provides. I am not running my own sound, I've got enough to worry about with my own rig.

Back