Is this a good deal? (speaker question)

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
I want to upgrade the speaker in my 112 extension cab from the not so great Celestion 70/80 to something better. I'm thinking greenback (it would be paired with the V30 in the combo amp). Anyway I went to go buy a new greenback from a guy from Craigslist and it was the wrong impedence.

He had a vintage G12H30 from the 70's that he reconed with the kit from Celestion so according to him it's top notch quality. He says these usually go for $200 and he was going to let me have it for $125. For the record he was going to sell me the brand new greenback for $75.

Anybody familiar with these speakers? I know the new "Anniversary" G12H30's are made in China but are supposed to be quite good. Is $125 a good price for this speaker? If so how do I verify that it's really what he's saying it is (there is no sticker on the back).

Thanks for any insight!

I'm leery of old speakers, especially if someone has reconed it themselves. I'd rather have either the new greenback or a 65 watt Creamback.

Also, the greenback and the g12h30 will sound pretty different from each other.

Yeah the greenback is warmer but I worry that it may get muddy. I think I'll still get a GB though. I had G12H30's before and they were good but a bit bright.

Yeah the greenback is warmer but I worry that it may get muddy. I think I'll still get a GB though. I had G12H30's before and they were good but a bit bright.
Its kind of an apples/oranges thing to me. Thats why I like the creamback...I can get the higher power handling but still keep the speaker from farting out.

I'm leery of old speakers, especially if someone has reconed it themselves. I'd rather have either the new greenback or a 65 watt Creamback.

Thanks, yeah I'm leery of such a thing too. He seemed like an up front guy but still....

Its kind of an apples/oranges thing to me. Thats why I like the creamback...I can get the higher power handling but still keep the speaker from farting out.

Hmm... I'll have to look into the creamback. Is it like the greenback with higher power handling?

Also, how would a green/cream back sound when paired with a V30? People rave about the V30/G12H30 combo but you don't see the greenback/V30 combo discussed much. Rumor has it that Bogner has this combo in some cabinets so it can't be too bad!

Also, how would a green/cream back sound when paired with a V30? People rave about the V30/G12H30 combo but you don't see the greenback/V30 combo discussed much. Rumor has it that Bogner has this combo in some cabinets so it can't be too bad!
I've done it in the past but on gigs which speaker gets mic'd?

My Top Hat Ambassador 30 had a Jensen/V30 combination in it and I was never too thrilled with that either.

I've done it in the past but on gigs which speaker gets mic'd?

My Top Hat Ambassador 30 had a Jensen/V30 combination in it and I was never too thrilled with that either.

I use the emulated line out for sound reinforcement so the speakers are out of the loop (at least for larger gigs) but that's a good point...

So I think I know the answer to this question but how bad is it to use an 8 ohm speaker when you should be using a 16 ohm? I've heard everything from "It'll fry your output transformer" to "It might sound a bit off but it works" to "Bah, don't worry about it"

If anyone is looking for an 8 ohm Vintage 30 out of a Mesa Boogie... I have one I'm going to put up for sale.

I have a 16 ohm Vintage 30 that I'm putting up for sale. It came out of my Kustom. Let me know if you're looking for one.

Well I pulled the trigger on a new Greenback from Avatar speakers. After doing some research and listening to a bazillion clips I find that I like the V30/Greenback combo even though it's not used a lot. :thu:

Back