Considering a Rat (or Rat clone)

Guitar Heel

Demented Trick
Any suggestions? I need some different dirt, and I've never owned a Rat. Any ideas regarding a good ProCo model or clone?

I've had a Classic RAT and a RAT 2. I liked the RAT two much better.

Avoid at all costs the TurboRat...I had one, and it was a raspy, nasally, useless box of shit...

The only difference between the Rat and Turbo Rat is the clipping section. The Turbo Rat uses LEDs instead of the LM308 chip. The LEDs have twice as much volume and half as much gain. But you can set them up to sound exactly the same.

The only difference between the Rat and Turbo Rat is the clipping section. The Turbo Rat uses LEDs instead of the LM308 chip. The LEDs have twice as much volume and half as much gain. But you can set them up to sound exactly the same.
When I A-B'd it with a friend's regular Rat I thought there was huge difference...maybe I had a bad one...:shrug:

I just sold my Freakshow FX Rabbit. It was pretty good. I have a Rat and the only thing I don't like about it is the enclosure. It doesn't play well with a pedal board. So I bought z new enclosure for it. It should be here in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses homies.

Also considering an Amptweaker Fatrock. I don't think these share any common lineage, but they both seem to line up with what I'm looking for (not a transparent OD, of which I have 3 or 4, not a fuzz, not metal-centric per se, with a fat wall-of-sound thing going on). Looking for something for post-rock crescendo silliness that colors the amp a bit but still retains some or most of the amp's character.

The original Rat was capable of some very lush tones. Contrary to its name, it was smooth and warm. Love it. Get one or make one.

RAT and its derivatives
Shredmaster et al
Z-Vex Mastotron
As a bit of background, I'm actually selling my Box of Metal to fund this, as I've just lost interest in it. Too muddy for me. I don't love the Box of Rock, as I think it sounds a bit generic (lots of "dimed Marshall" pedals out there). I know that's a Distortron with an SHO, right?

Anyway, why do you recommend the Mastotron? I love Zvex, so I'll definitely check it out. I think it's the only gain pedal of theirs I haven't tried personally.

Ah, right, that's the fuzz. I've got an Algal Bloom and a Box of War to handle my fuzzy needs at present... Maybe I'll keep looking for the Rat as originally planned.

As a bit of background, I'm actually selling my Box of Metal to fund this, as I've just lost interest in it. Too muddy for me. I don't love the Box of Rock, as I think it sounds a bit generic (lots of "dimed Marshall" pedals out there). I know that's a Distortron with an SHO, right?

Anyway, why do you recommend the Mastotron? I love Zvex, so I'll definitely check it out. I think it's the only gain pedal of theirs I haven't tried personally.

All Z-Vex distortions are really based on the SHO. It's really about how many of them are stacked on top of eachother. I think the Box of Metal is just too much, while the Box of Rock isn't enough. The Mastotron falls somewhere in the middle, gives that doomy sound, and is still manageable.

And of course, don't overlook the BYOC Mouse.
http://buildyourownclone.com/mouse.html
mouse2groupo-749x489.jpg

No, I won't sell mine. Nevuh!

Just get a Rat 2. With that and the Box of War, you can make all of the heavy crunching you need.

Attachments

• photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    783.6 KB · Views: 32
Back