The Cars- My Best Friend's Girl Guitar Lesson

So which guy is playing it right? Because they're each playing it differently -- different fingerings and notes -- in the little bits that I looked at. :embarrassed:

So which guy is playing it right? Because they're each playing it differently -- different fingerings and notes -- in the little bits that I looked at. :embarrassed:

From watching Elliot Easton play it in you tube videos, neither of them are playing it exact per positioning.

Hey you asked!

The best part is that I have to play it in the key of F in the band I play the song in. No open strings. I stole a couple of changes from the first video but I'm playing mostly the same thing.

The best part is that I have to play it in the key of F in the band I play the song in. No open strings. I stole a couple of changes from the first video but I'm playing mostly the same thing.

Forgive me, I am a music theory idiot, but couldn't you slap a capo on the first fret and play it with open strings?

Forgive me, I am a music theory idiot, but couldn't you slap a capo on the first fret and play it with open strings?
You could, although I never have time when this song is called usually to do anything like that. We don't work from set lists and this particular tune is played maybe once per month. I'm always nervous about using a capo when I don't have time to make sure the guitar is in tune AFTER I've put the capo on. And the solo I play is full of bends that will further throw the capoed guitar out of tune on an unlucky night.

You could, although I never have time when this song is called usually to do anything like that. We don't work from set lists and this particular tune is played maybe once per month. I'm always nervous about using a capo when I don't have time to make sure the guitar is in tune AFTER I've put the capo on. And the solo I play is full of bends that will further throw the capoed guitar out of tune on an unlucky night.

I get that. I always check my tuning when I put a capo on. For that song, I would probably bring a third guitar to the gig and tune it up to F :grin:

I get that. I always check my tuning when I put a capo on. For that song, I would probably bring a third guitar to the gig and tune it up to F :grin:
If I did that for every song that needed a special tuning or setup my side of the stage would look like the Edge's tech station. :embarrassed:

Actually the only song I make an adjustment for on a cover gig is drop D tuning for "The Middle" by Jimmy Eats World and I usually do that by ear at full volume...I've kinda made it a "part" for the song intro since its usually called off randomly by the drummer with one of his stage raps so taking a second to use the tuner would kill the on stage momentum.

If I did that for every song that needed a special tuning or setup my side of the stage would look like the Edge's tech station. :embarrassed:

Actually the only song I make an adjustment for on a cover gig is drop D tuning for "The Middle" by Jimmy Eats World and I usually do that by ear at full volume...I've kinda made it a "part" for the song intro since its usually called off randomly by the drummer with one of his stage raps so taking a second to use the tuner would kill the on stage momentum.

the last band I was in played a bunch of drop D stuff, so I don't even have to think about tuning to that. The worst part was we let the singer make up the setlist, so he didn't know what songs were drop D so we were going back and forth all night.

the last band I was in played a bunch of drop D stuff, so I don't even have to think about tuning to that. The worst part was we let the singer make up the setlist, so he didn't know what songs were drop D so we were going back and forth all night.
Yeah...that would be a pain. This is a one per night thing so its no big deal for me.

Interesting as when I played that tune back when, I avoided D-Tuning the guitar.

Back