My amp dilemma

wagdog

Ack
Don't know if you folks remember cbhscott posting about a good deal on mesa 5:50 express recently. I picked it up. It's a 2x12, weighs 70'ish pounds. I also recently bought a mesa 5:25 a coupla months back. I figured I could flip the 5:50 and make a few bucks.

Well, I started playing the 5:50. It sounds amazing. The 5:25 sounds great as well, but I've been into having a clean tone for the past several years, and although the clean on the 5:25 is nice, the clean tone 5:50 with the 2x12 cab is just sparkling and has headroom for days. I also tend to like amps with 6L6's, like twins.

I can't keep both amps, there is no need and I don't want to have that much money tied up in gear I don't need (which, truth be told is a lot of my gear, lol).

Pros for the 5:25
Great clean tone, plenty loud
Lighter 1x12 and have a 1x12 cab if I need more firepower
Dirt tone is super smooth, love the el84's with overdriven preamp
Smaller footprint, easier load in/out

Cons for 5:25
Tone has a bit of a mid hump that I can't seem to dial out
Clean channel is nice, but not shimmery
Doesn't sound boxy, but doesn't sound big.

Pros for 5:50
Clean channel is just shimmery/sparkling goodness. It's a better clean than any blackface or silverface fender I've heard. The clean does not sound plucky, it's rich and solid, smooth and shimmers. When played with a strat and picked right, I can get some that Eric Johnson style violin tone - I love that tone.
Lots of headroom.
Loud, real loud - not going to get outgunned with this amp.
Sounds full, big

Cons for 5:50
It's pretty big. It's heavy.
The dirt channel does not sound as good as the 5:25 - I may need to spend more time with it, or, it just not sound as good.

Which amp to sell?

I always go with the amp with the better clean sound. You can always pedal in dirt but you can't fix a bad clean sound.
Yeah, really good point.

The thing is, since getting the 5:25, I stopped using dirt pedals at gigs, just switched channels. It's the first amp I've been able to do that with.

Wag have you experiment with various pre-amp tubes on the 5:25, the electo harmonix seems to do well in my amps for clean? even some power tubes might be worth exploring... It always amazes me the tone differences in various combinations of tubes..... Also how much do you play out? 70lbs is a lot to lug if its twice a week or so.......

Makes sense. Still, can't see walking away from a clean that you really, really love.

Yeah, that's the thing man. I mostly play clean too.

Wag have you experiment with various pre-amp tubes on the 5:25, the electo harmonix seems to do well in my amps for clean? even some power tubes might be worth exploring... It always amazes me the tone differences in various combinations of tubes..... Also how much do you play out? 70lbs is a lot to lug if its twice a week or so.......

Good point, I should try some different tubes in the 5:25. Also a good point about carting around a 70lb amp. I trying to whittle down to playing out once or twice a month. I don't mind lugging gear, but 70lbs of 2x12 can get old and most the places I play don't require that kind of horsepower.

Still,I love the tone of the 5:50.

Yeah, that's the thing man. I mostly play clean too.

Good point, I should try some different tubes in the 5:25. Also a good point about carting around a 70lb amp. I trying to whittle down to playing out once or twice a month. I don't mind lugging gear, but 70lbs of 2x12 can get old and most the places I play don't require that kind of horsepower.

Still,I love the tone of the 5:50.

I've got a couple cabs strung around here n there. I just show up with a head....... I put mullards in a tweed I built Wow was that clean really really nice. I then tried them in my orange head just to see. Yuk horrible that Orange Amp has never forgave me

Well, I can't decide. I like both of these amps, they both sound great in their own way.

I've listed 'em both on Craigslist - I'll keep the one that doesn't sell.

Sell both and get an Express 1x12 550+ = 49 lbs. Then add a light weight extension cab for your 2x12 needs. This one weighs 26 lbs. The logos (if you like) are cheap.

Last edited:
Old thread!

Sold the 5:50 a while ago. Still have the 5:25 and 1x12 extension cab - gig with them often. Really like the 5:25; great cleans and dirt, and fairly portable.

Im in the middle of a major move....... I am packing up my gear as I write this...... Moving to near Indianapolis and Champaign il HAve started work on the new studio It should be great when completed

Back