I've got my basses covered - the story of this weekend's uber used gear score

smurfco

Meatus McPrepuce
I picked up a new bass this past weekend. If you'll allow me to tell my rather self-indulgent story, it goes like this. I used to have a Music Man Sterling (the USA model, not the newer "Sterling by Music Man" basses), and the neck on that thing was just unreal. Best feeling bass neck ever. Unfortunately, when I lost my job in 2009, the Sterling - along with most of the rest of my gear save my faithful Epiphone Dot - was sold off to pay pesky things like rent and power. But I always thought I'd get another someday.

Flash forward to this past weekend. My buddy Ryan is looking to buy a Tele or a semihollow, and we were futzing around with some at Guitar Center. This was at about 8:30 PM, nearly closing time. As he's checking out a WildKat I wander over to the used basses and I spot a honeyburst Music Man Sterling hanging on the wall. It's a 4-string like my old one, but this one has two humbuckers (my old one had just one). Three-band active EQ, five-way switch that gives coil splitting, and...

Dat neck.

Oooh, dat neck.

They have it tagged at $999. I assume there's no case. I talk to the salesman and he says "Yeah, we just lowered it from $1399 a couple days ago." Bullshit? Maybe. But guys, there wasn't a mark on this thing anywhere. I told him "I'll give you $900, tax included, out the door." It's about 8:50 at this point. The sales guy says "I doubt it but let me check with my manager."

So the manager comes around and says "How about $950 out the door?" I say he's got himself a deal. He says, "all right, let me go get the case." "Case?" "Yeah, it comes with the original hardshell Music Man case." Bonus! So he brings the case down, and it has the paperwork in it from the original owner.

You guys, this bass was bought new in February 2014. For $1,700. I looked up the SN when I got home and it was manufactured in September '13. The case still had the silica pack in it, for God's sake. So I got an essentially new Music Man Sterling for $950 out the door. It kicks major ass and it's by far the most comfortable bass I own.

Between this, the Rickenbacker 4003, the Fender P, and the Hofner 500/1 I think I've got just about all my.... basses covered.

Anyways that's all.

A picture:

9are6uja.jpg

Right on. I'll second that the neck is the best neck out there. I gigged with one of those for a while, awesome bass. If my hands could handle a 34" scale these days, I would have one.

Great googly moogly, that kicks all kinds of ass, and what a deal! HNBD :thu:
If I ever gig as a bass player, that will be my first choice.

Sometimes, we just end up in the right place at the right time. Congrats on the new MM! She's definitely a looker!

very nice!!

you DO realize, that it is very likely that someone "had to sell it" for similar reasons you sold yours.....right??

and....those are some pretty big pickups, lester.

Back