Another one of those useless musician articles

Useless musician or useless article? :poke:

I guess some people enjoy 101 type articles. Carlin made fun of "Walking" magazine years ago.

After all the years that I have played, I still get nervous. That nervous energy is wonderful and at the same time difficult. If the reaction to the band is great, the nervousness goes away in a very short instant. If the reaction isn't well received, you wonder what you did wrong.

Last edited:
When I get those dreaded pre-show jitters (and who doesn't!), I always say to myself "hey, the absolute worst thing that can happen out there is still nothing compared to getting your dick chopped off with a set of bolt cutters." This really seems to help.

I still get nervous, but I've found that (for me) the best way to counteract that is to be seriously sleep-deprived. When I'm exhausted, I worry much less...

Only time I ever had an issue with nervous energy is when I was jumping around and hit the singer with the headstock of my guitar. LOL

I'm not nervous when I play in front of people in church - solo. I do get a little nervous when my band plays, even though I sit behind a wall of drums and cymbals. I can't figure out why.

There seems to be a glut of these articles that take 2 parts common sense and 1 part personal opinion to create articles passed off as the revealed word of the Guitar Gods.

Reactions: Tig
I don't get nervous playing in front of a church crowd.

Playing at Pragestock in front of everybody that can play rings around my playing...I get a bit nervous :embarrassed:

As I said, I haven't had any pre-gig jitters since the early 70's. I have done TV interviews without a sweat. I have done professional presentations at national conferences for my peers without a worry. Just don't ask me to go to a party with 5 or more people; I'm a nervous wreck. :embarrassed:ops:

I haven't gotten nervous before a show for years. I don't know if that's a good thing, though. I don't really get an adrenaline rush from it either. It's more of a "this is where I'm comfortable" feeling. Again, don't know if that's good or bad. Leaning towards bad.

I haven't gotten nervous before a show for years. I don't know if that's a good thing, though. I don't really get an adrenaline rush from it either. It's more of a "this is where I'm comfortable" feeling. Again, don't know if that's good or bad. Leaning towards bad.
I hear you. I enjoy performing, but I get the same thrill if i have an audience of 4, 40, or 400. I never get a "high" from it, just a sense of joy. I guess I'm alright with that.

I get nervous when I play in front of micwalt and Mark. Other than that, I'm usually not nervous.

That's the only place I'm not nervous. I figure, "Well, they've heard me play well too, so if I fuck up it's an off thing." Audiences that haven't seen me before don't have that luxury...

Back