Effin' Mike Bloomfield

I like the theme of your posts.

I am just lately starting to dig Bloomfield. I recently got the Lost Fillmore Tapes which feature Johnny Winter's legendary sort-of-debut performance.

Thanks! I'm all about putting guitarists out there that maybe got overlooked in the pop era. And they have all had an influence on my playing. And, sadly, many died way before they should have.
Greatness is a curse. Luckily, I have no such worry.

He is one I discovered later in life,and I bitterly regret not 'discovering' his music when I was a teenager as I think I'd have gone into an entire different direction with my playing had I heard him in 83,84 instead of the Rock guys i was digging

There was also a Vintage Guitar cover story...but I don't know that they ever digitized their magazine.

Bloomfield's modal soloing on the song 'East-West' changed the way a lot of guitar players approached rock solos.

I dig Bloomfield. Robben Ford lists him as a major influence so I began to explore him some years back. Love his work with the Butterfield Blues band and solo

What was so interesting is he just kinda gave up when Jimi hit the scene. He actually cancelled a gig cause Jimi was playing the same event.. Spoiled boy.

What was so interesting is he just kinda gave up when Jimi hit the scene. He actually cancelled a gig cause Jimi was playing the same event.. Spoiled boy.

Bloomfield's heroin habit was likely a bigger factor in his giving up on playing (more so than the arrival of Jimi on the scene). From what I read, MB was a pretty serious junkie for a long time.

Back