Anyone ever submitted a transcription to a Tab site?

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
My daughter is coming into town in a couple weeks and I talked about taking her to an open mic. I figured it would be good to learn the guitar to a couple songs that she sings well and be ready.

I thought I'd get a head start by going to a tab/chord site.... but boy I can't believe how WRONG some of them are. It's like they're only hearing the root note or can't move out of major and minor chords. Ugh... it's rough.

I wrote up this transcription of "Killing Me Softly" (the Fugees version) and I'm considering submitting it.

fugees.jpg

Also, 95% of the tabs/chords don't get the songwriter correct. :facepalm:

As an interesting aside, I found a youtube of Colbie Callait singing this song a half step lower. Her guitar player uses some interesting inversions to walk the F and Em chords (E, D#m) in.

I did one once, years ago.

I figured out a song that I thought was pretty clever.

I posted it and a half hour later someone slammed it, saying it was all wrong, even to the point where they claimed it was in a different tuning, :lol:.

I don't even remember what song it was, to be honest. Something by U2, probably.

Last time I ever even bothered.

BTW, it turned out that I was right and whoever posted slamming my transcription was completely incorrect.

So....fuck that guy in his meathead face.

Part of my style since I've started playing in a trio has been to include notes and voicings that the guitars might not have played per se, but the keys, background harmonies, and so forth are playing.... so if you're playing in a stripped down band or solo, you get the full richness of the arrangement, not just the part played by one musician. Hopefully those who try out my version appreciate it for that.... otherwise ftitmhf as well. :helper:

I've never bothered because nearly every online tab site just repeats the same old shitty set of tabs I remember from the 90's.

Tab sites suck.
Plus, why would I spend my precious time transcribing a song for some dipshit with tin ears who can't figure it out for himself?

Tab sites suck.
Plus, why would I spend my precious time transcribing a song for some dipshit with tin ears who can't figure it out for himself?

Well, everyone has to start somewhere. Tabs are a great resource for the beginning guitarist who hasn't had time to develop that ear. We all have to find our own way down the path to realizing that it only takes a handful of chords to play nearly every pop/rock/country song ever written.

Unfortunately, yeah, tab sites suck. And I suppose it's really not worth the effort to pare down the crap and curate a website of decent tabs because the whole concept runs afoul of copyright laws and could get shuttered at a moment's notice.

Usually, when I want to figure out a song I can't figure out by ear, I go to the YouTube video of some one playing it. At least then, I can hear if he or she is at all close.

Wow -- what a judgmental bunch of people we have here. I used tabs for years and still do sometimes when I am having trouble figuring something out. I'm happy that you all have perfect pitch and can discern an Eb7dim in your first listen, but not all of us are quite so proficient.

I tabbed for many many years, just for myself. Never even thought that the skill could be used anyone else's benefit but mine. Most people can't read notational rhythmic figures anyways, & without them, tabs are virtually useless.

To me- the time taken in transcribing, whether badly or actually accuratly, is less important than the ear-training you have gained by the process of transcribing, itself. We all have a slightly different take on...well...anything.

This is partly what constitutes individuality- what may make someone listen to you, not anyone else. The copyrightists have it all wrong- the tab in itself is only an afterthought- the side-notes on the floor, after the real blueprint has already been created, & can never be taken away for such a stupid, short sight reason as information control, intellectual property.

What a fucking stupid idea
. The entire point could not be more stupidly missed.

Weren't most of the tab sites gutted when the RIA went after them back in the 00's?

There're still a bunch -- most likely operated out of Russian-controlled parts of Ukraine (i.e. in places where things like copyrights aren't enforced) However, as Tralfaz notes -- most contain the same old erroneous tabs. However, I find them useful, because I can download them to a word or wordpad file, listen to the tune, fix them up and I'm on my way. I find that it's actually a good exercise in training my ears.

Many years ago I had a guy in Boston transcribe Cal Collins Jackson County Blues for me. Cost me $300 bucks, but he was dead on it. Can I play it now, sadly, no. But with a bit of practice...probably so.

Back