Dig it! Takamine Glenn Frey Signature Model

Stratguy

Coffee Junky
So, I decided to explore whether there was a significant difference between solid top/laminate guitars, and all solid wood guitars. So I headed to the local music store to do some research with their Taylor guitars. Now I have an Alvarez Artist Series with a solid Sitka top and Mahogany laminate sides, and I find the sound incredible, but I was curious if it could get any better than that. After playing the solid wood Taylors, I could tell that there was a difference between laminate body and solid wood body guitars, but it was going to be tough for me to justify the $2500 pricetag for the difference in sound. Then the salesguy told me about a couple of solid wood Takamines on the other side of the store - one of which he likes to play whenever he gets the chance. So he shows me a Cedar top model, and it was nice, but not quite what I heard in my head as "my sound." So, I tried the other solid wood Takamine - the Glenn Frey Signature Model - and wow! It has a solid Spruce top with solid Rosewood back and sides, and the tone is very even across the spectrum. Glenn Frey wanted a guitar that replicated his number 1 guitar, an old Takamine with solid spruce top, and laminate Rosewood back & sides, so it's a no frills (as far as eye catching appointments) kind of guitar that's all about getting a tone that cuts through the mix in a band situation. It has nice clear, but not overpowering lows, and strong clear mids and treble tones. I was so blown away by the sound of this guitar went home with me today as an early birthday present. Alright, enough talk. Here are the pictures:

This case even comes with a strap for carrying it on a shoulder
f089a9ce-242a-4ad9-b759-c418608230a5_zps61495984.jpg

IMGP9595_zpse561ef68.jpg

IMGP9594_zpsbb247327.jpg

IMGP9587_zps27326c2b.jpg

Every label in the Glenn Frey Signature Model guitars is hand signed by Glenn Frey.
47f83654-5f1e-4f4b-acd0-cbd26c3cdbd1_zpsbdf74956.jpg

Last edited:
Cool! I generally prefer cedar tops, but it definitely sounds different than your typical dread. HNGD!

One thing that I should have mentioned is that this guitar has an incredible sustain, and tons of volume. When you play that last note, it just sounds so sweet in it's sustain. That's something I never heard in a laminate body guitar. I had an Ibanez Exotic Wood Figured Ash Jumbo guitar that was all laminate, and when I go it, I was happy with it's sound, especially amplified. When I got the solid Sitka Spruce top Alvarez, the Ibanez became the immediate backup. Yesterday, I traded in the Ibanez on the Takamine, because I knew that I would never play it again. It will still be a nice guitar for someone learning to play, but after hearing an all solid wood guitar, I could never go back to an all laminate. Today, I'm still amazed that I jumped on this guitar without exploring more solid wood guitars (it just isn't like me to be quite so impulsive). But I got the chance to pick it up again this morning (yes, I'm fortunate because my job allows me to do that), and I knew that I did the right thing.

Happy NGD! I have nothing but respect for Taks. My MIK EG523SC-12 has been a great friend and companion for the past four years.

Back