is there a home-brew / zymurgy thread around here?

I picked up Brewing Classic Styles btw and have been itching to try so many recipes.

Sent from EloydrummerTablet

IIRC, JBA is in there. Many are JZs winning recipies that used to be online. I've brewed at least 6-10 of them and they have all been solid.

I've read through that a few times but never brewed anything from it yet. The brown ale does look interesting, I've not brewed a hoppy brown before

Tomorrow I'm brewing a pale ale with lots of noble hops

So is the JBA pretty hoppy? We've got some legends brown ale in the fridge which is also pretty hoppy. I really like a maltier, sweeter Brown. But I'm certainly willing to give the recipe a try given all the rave reviews and awards.

Sent from my EloydrummerPhone

Chest Freezer Fermenter is finally here! And the size is perfect.

GE 7 cu ft.
Model # FCM7SUWW

I don't have two 6.5 Gal Carboys, but the bucket is just as big, if not bigger I believe. So I don't see any problem there in the future if I get another. Plus room for other stuff in the baskets or on the compressor hump like ingredients, yeast starters, etc.

The carboy is about 11"-11.5" at its widest. The buckets are 12" at the top, tapering slightly
20140420_141355_zps0f72sedw.jpg

Should be plenty of clearing on the top for a blow-off hose.
20140420_141410_zpsfimuapqg.jpg

Compact size overall.
20140420_141444_zpscwvxqxr0.jpg

Now, the temperature controller hasn't came yet. And I can't start it up anyway because I had to turn it on it's side to fit in the Escape. But it was only for about an hour, and most people online think it's alright as long as you leave it sit for 24 hours before plugging it in and turning it on. I'll probably do 48 since I'm in no hurry anyway and I'm not sure when the temp controller will be in (damn USPS has it going all over the East Coast due to some errors.)

But based on size alone, I would definitely recommend this model. Online reviews are good to, so I'm thinking (hoping) it will perform just fine as well.

Thanks. The thing I like the most, after the ease of "set it and forget it", is all the doors it opens up. I can now lager which about doubles the number of styles/beers I can brew.

Next on the list is a bigger pot for full boils and a propane burner. Then maybe a cooler/mash tun to dip my toes into all-grain. But for now, I'm pretty happy with my setup. Drummergirl got to pick the next brew so we'll be attempting a New Belgium Ranger clone.

Sent from EloydrummerTablet

Anyone brewing this coming may day weekend? I've got a pale ale to bottle and want to brew a stout too

We're planning brews the weekends off the 9th and 23rd. First will be an attempt at a Star Hill - Northern Lights IPA. Our first attempt without a recipe. The 23rd is still undecided.

Sent from my EloydrummerPhone

Not me, I'm pretty busy at work, so I doubt I will get any more brewing done until the middle of May. I have 5 gallons of beer in the primary, and 7 gallons bottle conditioning, so I think I'll be OK through the gap in activity.

I might brew today...not certain. Thinking about what to do with the Saison blend. Traditional or something with a twist, like smoked malt or some D2

The yest description:
"A blend of two unique yeast strains isolated from beers that embody the saison style, this blend is a balance of the many characteristic saison flavors and aromas. One yeast strain is a good attenuator that produces a spicy and mildly tart and tangy beer with a full mouthfeel. The other yeast strain is also a good attenuator that produces a delightful ester profile of grapefruit and orange zest and imparts a long, dry and earthy finish to the beer. Together, they produce a dry but balanced beer with a unique flavor and aroma profile."

Did the saison w/ Pils, Vienna, Aromatic and some Oats but tossed some Galena into the kettle to keep it interesting.

The Mosaic RPA w/ the Funktown yeast is stupid good....huge fruitbomb with a lick of earthy creamyness from the rye & yeast.

Didja know Wil Wheaton is a homebrewer? http://devilsgatebrewing.com/

Kegged a Saison w/ the Saison Blend. Really good....it reminds me of the yeast from Domaine DuPage on steroids in a way. Earthy, peppery, zesty with a little bit citric bite. Great attenuation.

I was thinking of doing a saison with the dry saison yeast, it's supposed to be ok - have you or anyone else used this before?

Still not brewed my stout, although I managed to bottle my pale ale a week late

Had a drink of my triple/strong belgian ale, its tasty but I'm getting a lot of chill haze from it - it's crystal clear at cellar temp, I tried it cold to see what it was like

sGULwpZ.jpg

Last edited:
Back