Virual video motivates Porsche to buy back lemon 911

Lerxst

spaghetti and blankets

Guy buys a 911 and it's a got a host of issues that apparently Porsche couldn't repair & won't buy the car back. What's a guy to do? Make a series of youtube vids to document the numerous problems with the car and let it go virual. This has pop'd up on Reddit, Jalopnik and just about every car forum on the web.

The nearly 1 million views probably had something to do with Porsche of North America's decision to finally settle with the owner.

http://jalopnik.com/the-saga-of-the-lemon-911-and-one-mans-quest-for-just-1564141012

<looks like he might be taking the videos down now that they are settling>

That shit is unfuckingacceptable.

However, completely unsurprising.

I hope the dude gets what he wants. At this point, they should be giving him a new 911 Turbo for his troubles.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

I'm beginning to wonder about German cars. A coworker has an Audi with 56,000 miles on the clock, and is being told it needs new rings and pistons. At 56,000 miles!!!

And the estimate is over $5500. Not under warranty.

Reactions: Tig
Jalopnik was informed directly by Porsche that they agreed to purchase the Porsche for the original value and get him an exact replacement of his car if that's what he wants. That seems to be the best solution to this whole mess, and would do a lot to improve Porsche's public perception in this whole affair

The video is still up but I have put I note on it that this is resolved. I think I will leave the video up and point people to a new video to talk about what happened.
In the end TV and Radio were wanting to get involved as well and it had frankly gotten a lot bigger than I had ever expected so I was glad to get the call.
PCNA were offering me what they thought I would get a arbertation which is the standard offer for these sorts of cases, where as my position was that I felt what I had been through was more than just a standard case and wanted a full refund or replacement.
People can decide themselves if they agree or not. I can certainly see PCNA point of view and I hope they could see mine. The difference between what was offered and what I wanted was just a few thousand dollars. It certainly was not worth the mess that this all turned into sadly.
Anyway they have not bribed me or asked me take down the video or anything and because they came to the party and I do still believe in their product I am happy to make a new video saying so.
Also to thank everyone (you guys/ladies in particular) for all your support.I did not want to damage the brand, and I think I need to help people understand that my case was pretty much a one off. Too much hate has been thrown at Porsche for the wrong reasons here and I would like to do what I can to fix that. Their product is good, I just had a disagreement with them over how serious my particular case was. That has been fixed now and I can move on to a new car.

http://jalopnik.com/victory-porsche-says-theyll-buy-lemon-911-guys-car-b-1564711471

I'm beginning to wonder about German cars. A coworker has an Audi with 56,000 miles on the clock, and is being told it needs new rings and pistons. At 56,000 miles!!!

I don't know. Lot's of variables there. Could be a bad car could be poorly maintained. Hard to say. I'm at 125,00 in three years on my VW no issues so far. :shrug:

Good for him, I guess. He got a better deal than he would have through the lemon laws.

Personally, I don't think buying a German sports car at the very limit of what he could afford was a good idea to begin with, and his financial situation shouldn't have entitled him to a settlement beyond what anyone else would receive. But that car apparently had problems beyond the usual "quirks."

My brother-in-law had an A4 a few years ago with the same problem but under 20K. It was under warranty since it was a lease, but... WTF?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I don't know. Lot's of variables there. Could be a bad car could be poorly maintained. Hard to say. I'm at 125,00 in three years on my VW no issues so far. :shrug:
There's one motor that they use, which is in the A4 and other models, that has had this problem for years. Instead of engineering a fix into the production they just fix them after the fact.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

How can you mention Audi with out this piece of excellent what the hell were they thinking with a 2 miles of timing chains snaking through the full circumference of the motor goodness:

s4v8.jpg

Every brand has had their questionable what were they thinking designs though.

What car(s) did that engine go into? ^^

The Audi A4 we rented over in Europe in 2006, when we filled up for gas the first time, we estimated that it got a little over 40 mpg for that fill-up. Not bad since it wasn't a diesel, and my friend Dorothy who was driving has a bit of a leadfoot.

They must have different spec cars over there, as I can't ever see an American-market A4 getting 40mpg unless it was a diesel.

I have an 80 911 SC Targa w 200,000 on the clock and growing. The air cooled were the most reliable of the lot ( excepting the 2.7 Ls) with no geehaws to muck up the racing heritage. I might be able to upgrade someday, but I'm pretty damn happy with what I have right now.

911 SC's are easily a 350K mile car before a rebuild on the engine. Get the Carrera tensioners though. I had an 83 911SC black on black that was just freakin fantastic. My favorite car ever.

My mom has a couple of old 911s that have been really quite reliable. Her weekend driver is a 1988 3.2 cabriolet. I think her only maintenance issue was a new timing belt around 50K miles which she hit a couple of weeks ago. She was surprised to find the tool kit in the trunk had a spare timing belt in it.

Damn shame that guy had so many issues with his car, but good to see it working out in the end.

Back