Reminder - Mars season is open

I've been too distracted by Saturn to point my glass towards Mars.

I need a better planetary scope. I bought my 4.5" cause I wanted moar DSOs but to be honest, it sucks at planets. My $70 walmart toy was better at 'em.

Hmm, don't give up on it yet. Maybe you haven't found the right eyepiece combination or something.

What kind of scope is it, and what sucks about the images you are getting?

Yay. Last night I finally got a satisfying look, and an interesting side of Mars with lots of features was in view. :)

Maybe tonight also if the clouds don't get all douchey again...

Hmm, don't give up on it yet. Maybe you haven't found the right eyepiece combination or something.

What kind of scope is it, and what sucks about the images you are getting?

It's an Orion starblast 4.5. Cheap, but my astro budget is basically nill. I wanted more aperture and found it used on CL for $60. It's definitely more suited for wide-field views on fainter objects. The larger aperture also makes things so much brighter which for planets is counterproductive since they basically get washed out, especially Jupiter and Mars.

It's an Orion starblast 4.5. Cheap, but my astro budget is basically nill. I wanted more aperture and found it used on CL for $60. It's definitely more suited for wide-field views on fainter objects. The larger aperture also makes things so much brighter which for planets is counterproductive since they basically get washed out, especially Jupiter and Mars.

Larger aperture will give you more resolution for planets, which is very much a good thing. If they appear washed out, you need to use a shorter/higher power eyepiece.

There could be other factors at work of course, like poor collimation, but I definitely recommend powering up the next time you use your newt on bright planets.

Yeah, I know I need better EPs. Again, budget. I'm sorta stuck with what I have.

I AM happy with what I am able to see with it from my light polluted city observing location. All the bright DSOs have been a lot of fun.

Not necessarily better, just a shorter one - actually the shorter ones are cheaper than the beefy wide-angle ones... you could get a nice 5-7mm plossl for less than the cost of a good bottle of hooch.

Yeah I know, I'm a dirty rotten enabler...

BTW - last Thursday and Friday nights were the best yet - prime views of Syrtis Major and the Hellas plain. (I think I got those names right, too lazy to confirm right now). Hellas is more pronounced than the north polar cap, which is freakishly small this opposition. Also whitish hazes on both limbs have been common this go-round.

It is supposed to be clear tonight, and finally the planet is high enough for decent observing by 9:embarrassed:0 or so so I don't miss my bedtime. :tongue:

I guess I should post a sketch or two. I'm kind of self-conscious about how pathetic my drawing skills are... but even a bad sketch is an easier way to record what I saw than trying to write about it in my journal the way I do for most observations.

Would love to see sketches. I still haven't tried that, I'm too enamored with using my camera :tongue:

I checked it out on Sunday. Pretty decent viewing. I could see some surface coloration differences that were really awesome. I tried but I didn't notice any polar ice. Still, it was cool to see. Mars is not typically something I look at, as I have a pretty small scope, but I was pretty happy with what I could see.

Back