Eclipse

Nice work!

I can't wait to get out of here so I can process my photos... if I can stay awake long enough...

So does anybody besides me wanna talk about it? :tongue:

We just had a front blow through during the afternoon and evening - when I forced myself to get out of bed a little before 1:embarrassed:0, I could see the moon in a perfectly clear sky through the skylight. Yay! Woke up the wife, grabbed my bins and camera rig and headed outside. It was about 48, really cool for this time of the year here, and a little breezy, but other than that perfect.

It was nice how Mars and the bright star Spica were right nearby, and Saturn wasn't far away either to the east a ways. It has been a while since I was able to observe a lunar eclipse (due to clouds etc) but the last couple I did see were quite dusky as I recall. This one was nice and orangy; a very pretty eclipse. It always strikes me how an eclipsed moon looks so round and 3D, both naked-eye and through bins or telescope.

I was shooting with a 400 mm lens on a tripod, unguided so I had to make adjustments to follow the moon every few minutes. I shot the partial phases and got some good shots of totality, but I didn't wait up for the end of totality and the partial phases as the shadow retreated, since I had to work today. (Should have taken the day off...)

Anyway I'll post pics this evening... I will be passing out at my desk this afternoon but it was still worth it. :cool:

Yes! Went to sleep and it was snowing and mid 30's. Woke up at 1:30 lookedout kitchen window and there was a small break in the clouds. Set up my C8 and started shooting. It was 27 degrees. By totality it there were much larger breaks in the clouds. Shot until about 5 am. Great eclipse!!!

Nice pics. I woke up to watch it and was met with a nice thick layer of clouds. :(

Great shots. No way I could stay up as I am still not 100% and the fog rolled in anyways so I would have gotten up to look at nothing

Here's a couple from my first stab at organizing/processing. I will probably work a little more at it when I have some time:

eclipse_4_141.jpg~original

eclipse_4_145.jpg~original

I thought it was tonite. I had my camera and tripod out,, and the GF asked, "what are you doing?". Shooting the red moon. 'That was LAST night".
I'm a dumb-ass.

Correct - but after doing some digging, that one doesn't look too exciting. Just a penumbral eclipse, and the moon will be setting for North American observers:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/observing-news/october-18ths-penumbral-lunar-eclipse/

That's from last year. The next total lunar eclipse is on Oct 8. People on the west coast will get a much better view of it than the rest of North America.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OH2014.html#LE2014Oct08T

I took a shot of the moon as it was rising since I needed my sleep (recovering from a bad cold) and ended up stumbling to the bathroom around 2:20 and seeing the orange in all its glory.

But this was my earlier shot:

Nikon D3200 w/ 55-200mm at 200mm maxed out - f11 and 1/250th of a second exposure handheld. I definetely need a tripod.

Looks so crusty and dusty - the shots above are way smoother. Gotta get a swankier lens!

moon2.jpg

Last edited:
Back