NAD

Chad

Slender Hobbit
tinyamp_zps7d48abf8.jpg

This arrived for me today. Now that I am working from home, I wanted a little amp I could mess around with in my home office. I was browsing Reverb and found this little guy. It is a 9 volt - 1/2 watt amp, with a volume and gain knob. It is based off the Ruby circuit from runoffgroove.com if that means anything. I have only run it straight in to the cab, no effects yet, but it sounds pretty good. It goes from really clean to almost AC/DC style breakup. Not bad for $70, it will probably get more use than my other amp.

Great price for a simple, ultra low powered amp. 8)
I wonder if my cow-orkers would mind if I brought one to work? stirthepot

I wonder if it's this circuit -- looks intriguing!

http://www.runoffgroove.com/ruby.html\

Damn! After looking at that, I have a burning desire to hook up my 9v Smokey Amp (Marlboro light) to my 112 (Fano AXA12) cab... I know what I'm gonna do when I get home after work!

The ad said it was based on that one. If I get some time I will open it up and see.

I just grabbed my Dyna drive and Super Chorus and gave it a little run (man I dig working from home) and it sounded pretty good. I like the Dyna Drive better through this than my VHT special.

I did it -- plug my 9v Smokey amp into my 112 cab. My wife and daughter said it was too loud!!! :grin:

I'm gonna keep it out -- the tone all out is sort of like a big muff -- but it cleans up pretty nicely by backing off the volume knob on the guitar. I don't know why I didn't try this before!

Chad, I may end up building one of these. Looks like you can get the parts and a case for about $45. The idea of something like the smokey with a gain and volume knob is just too darn tempting (I loves me some low-power amps). I'm very happy that you've ignited a GAS flame that can be put out without having some 'splaining to do to the wife!

Back