New Bass Day: Unobtanium

I still don't get the unobtainium reference...

It's a reference that is often used in Sci Fi movies for some fictional, impossible to find material for example, the "dilithium crystals" in Star Trek. The joke is Un-obtain-ium. Can't-find-itite. No-CanDo-mium. :wink:

James Cameron didn't even bother coming up with a name for the material they were mining in Avatar... he actually called the shit "Unobtainium". :facepalm:

:wink: :helper:

I thought I knew what I wanted in a bass before tonight. I was wrong. Or, if not wrong, grossly understated.

Tonight, I got to play the Rev at full steam in rehearsal. Just, wow. I'd like to tell you it was the best Precision sound I've ever gotten, but it was so much more than that. It was louder, it was thumpier, and yet it had this great "hi-fi" range across the entire tonal spectrum. It also took distortion way better than I thought it would.

The Dano is a toy compared to the Reverend. And the Rev is a significant step up from my MIM Precision. Which is exactly how it should be. And I'm happier about this purchase than I probably have the right to be. :cool:

Last edited:
It's a reference that is often used in Sci Fi movies for some fictional, impossible to find material for example, the "dilithium crystals" in Star Trek. The joke is Un-obtain-ium. Can't-find-itite. No-CanDo-mium. :wink:

James Cameron didn't even bother coming up with a name for the material they were mining in Avatar... he actually called the shit "Unobtainium". :facepalm:

:wink: :helper:
I know that, ya dink :tongue:
I meant in reference to Howie's new bass.

A friend sent me a counterweight he used to have on an SG and I installed it on the endpin. It helped. There's still a little pull, but it's much, much better. I'll play it like this through our first gig and then re-assess.

Just wondering, how wide is your bass strap? My 3" wide leather straps keep pretty much any guitar or bass in a constant position. Maybe that's why the SG has no neck dive.

Just wondering, how wide is your bass strap? My 3" wide leather straps keep pretty much any guitar or bass in a constant position. Maybe that's why the SG has no neck dive.

The bass actually doesn't move on the strap. But the strap pulls down my entire shirt from the neck and looks stupid. I don't need any additional help looking stupid. I think the strap is 2".

The bass actually doesn't move on the strap. But the strap pulls down my entire shirt from the neck and looks stupid. I don't need any additional help looking stupid. I think the strap is 2".

I forgot to add that a staple gun will keep the shirt and strap in place. I still haven't solved the bleeding problem. :embarrassed:

Back