Baseball 2018

That's a serious price tag for a guy (I think) is past his prime. Six years?!
I was happy the Astros didn't try too hard to get him. I hope he does well for the Cubs, though.

The Cubs (not my team) are in a good spot. Tough division, but they’re stacked (on paper) offensively and they’ve got a great defensive infield.

They’ve made moves in the bullpen that should help and even if Darvish is a little past his prime, he’s part of a rotation with other solid pitchers and isn’t wholly responsible for scaring the shit out of teams.

Plus he’s a clear upgrade over Beardy Jake who was way too streaky for my tastes.

I picked up my daughter from her dance class tonight and she told me her instructor was going to be gone the next 2 weeks. Her instructor is going to spring training with her boyfriend, Michael Taylor. The Nats center fielder. With my wife having dinner with the Nats owner and my daughter taking dance classes from the center fielders girlfriend, I better get some free tickets this season. :grin:

LOL Padres.

They signed Eric Hosmer to an 8 year, $144 million contract. He's not worth anywhere near that much for that long. Yes, he had a good season last year. But he'll be in a new league, learning new pitchers, and will go back to being a low or no value player this year.

I really don't see the problem. I like a good 3-1/2 to 4 hour game personally, especially if i am in the stadium. I paid my money, entertain me damnit.

Trying to compete in the short attention span market is an idiotic idea. Baseball is America's pastime. definition: something that amuses and serves to make time pass agreeably.

You can't rush things like leisure.

Reactions: DFB
My problem with the pacing isn't a sense of "this is going to slow," but too long. As a Red Sox fan, if I wish to see them play the Yankees I need to set aside four hours - that's a hard chunk of time to find, for me.

I agree that when I'm at the stadium, I'm happy to be entertained. Just never get to MLB games any more.

My problem with the pacing isn't a sense of "this is going to slow," but too long. As a Red Sox fan, if I wish to see them play the Yankees I need to set aside four hours - that's a hard chunk of time to find, for me.

I agree that when I'm at the stadium, I'm happy to be entertained. Just never get to MLB games any more.

Do you ever get to Isotopes games?

Location, location, location.

I don't miss MLB games, to be honest. I went to somewhere north of 200 games at Fenway. I remember when there was such a thing as standing room admission and it was $2.50 for the bleachers, which were metal benches with numbers on them. Grandstand for $20 ... I'm old. I got to see Jim Rice hit some insanely huge home runs, Dwight Evans play the outfield like Willie Mays, and Pudge Fisk scare the shit out of rookies as they stepped into the box. I've been back, but somehow it's not the same ... very 'nice,' horribly expensive.

'Topes games appeal to me much more. Much more about the baseball, and yet: some awesome "minor league entertainment value" touches as well. I am a little sad that the affiliation was switched from the Dodgers (it was crazy when Manny Ramirez did his rehab here). Parking's easy, it's a nice stadium ... pretty much why I moved here: life is much more friction-free here.

I don't miss MLB games, to be honest. I went to somewhere north of 200 games at Fenway. I remember when there was such a thing as standing room admission and it was $2.50 for the bleachers, which were metal benches with numbers on them. Grandstand for $20 ... I'm old. I got to see Jim Rice hit some insanely huge home runs, Dwight Evans play the outfield like Willie Mays, and Pudge Fisk scare the shit out of rookies as they stepped into the box. I've been back, but somehow it's not the same ... very 'nice,' horribly expensive.

'Topes games appeal to me much more. Much more about the baseball, and yet: some awesome "minor league entertainment value" touches as well. I am a little sad that the affiliation was switched from the Dodgers (it was crazy when Manny Ramirez did his rehab here). Parking's easy, it's a nice stadium ... pretty much why I moved here: life is much more friction-free here.

+1, except nobody played the outfield like Mays.

I'm old too, and remember the cheap bleacher seats at Candlestick, back when you could bring in your own food and drinks. Did you know you could stash 1/2 pints of JD in the bottom of a bucket of KFC?

We go to more S.J. Giants games than S.F. Giants games, though I love the atmosphere at ATT Park. Plus, it's been 420 friendly for a long time, just ask Josh Hamilton:grin:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/te...0/10/28/Josh-Hamilton-San-Francisco-fans-9071

i'll "+1" on the AAA/AA ball teams.
our AAA team is the Mudhens, Detroit's minor team. it's a smokin' nice park, to the point that if they added middle and upper outfield decks it would be an MLB park.
i've seen some pretty cool 'rehab' games. a few years ago the hens were playing the Pawtucket Red Sox while Nomar was down for rehab. the place was sold out. :grin:

geez....opening day is coming up in about 6 weeks. i guess i better get a schedule and see some games.

Back