Alternate Tunings

I'll hold on to that. I have been using open D lately; both songs for the February Songwriting thread are in open D. I'll certainly explore that document more carefully as time permits. Thanks.

Great article- looking forward to delving into it. No doubt that it'll inspire some new ideas.

No idea what this tuning is, but I'm learning the Mogwai song Ithica 27 9 and it is pretty interesting.
Eb
G
G
Eb
Ab
Eb

I think they use it in other songs too. I think Stuart has his LP tuned to this and he played it a handful of times the other night.

No idea what this tuning is, but I'm learning the Mogwai song Ithica 27 9 and it is pretty interesting.
Eb
G
G
Eb
Ab
Eb

I think they use it in other songs too. I think Stuart has his LP tuned to this and he played it a handful of times the other night.
Eb sus4...

Eb-root
G-Major 3rd
Ab-Fourth

...not a chord...

Ab-root
Eb-Fifth
G-Dom 7th

...not a chord, but closer...

G-root
Ab-minor 2nd
Eb-minor 6th

...not chord...

I have no clue what it is, but I bet it sounds really cool...

Eb-root
G-Major 3rd
Ab-Fourth

...not a chord...

Ab-root
Eb-Fifth
G-Dom 7th

...not a chord, but closer...

G-root
Ab-minor 2nd
Eb-minor 6th

...not chord...

I have no clue what it is, but I bet it sounds really cool...

It's not an Open tuning, just an Alternate tuning. It lets you play the open Ab and Eb and then bar the 2 G strings and move them up and down the fretboard. At least, that is what Mogwai does in the song I was learning. It does sound really cool.

I'd go with sus 4. A lot of "jazz" since the 80s has the third ringing with the fourth in the same chord. Ralph Towner uses that all the time. Its functions the same in general. Another "no-no" is the root and major 7th a half step apart. You hear that more and more. Metheny for instance.

Back