HOT SWEET GODDAMN — January Songwriting Reveal!

Peen Simmons

Let’s Get Obtuse!
Knox in a Box defines common sense with “Shake It (More Than Three Times.)

Gary Blanchard is no help. He won’t stop and as for directions “If We Don’t Know Where We’re Going.”

It’s “Another Beautiful Day” for mnewb1. (He must have stolen Bono’s day planner.)

And r-diddy is clearing out the vaults with SEVEN tracks!

At work for a long day on the ass of the world with the worst reception known to mankind. Will check these out tomorrow if not when I get some wifi later.

@Knox in Box - That was a very cool "new country" sound and a nice bit of wordplay.

@mnewb1 - Very nice song. I heard bits of Thomas Dolby, Rolling Stones, U2, and, well, you, too.

@rsadasiv - Quite a variety of styles and sounds; all great, as usual. I think Close to Darkness was my favorite.

Knox in Box: good tune, good lyrics, definitely a weakness on my part, nice spartan arrangement

Gary: I definitely dont know where I’m going, but glad to have this song as a signpost...simple sweet perfect

rsadasiv: Listening to the first one, I’m at work so I’ll have to liste to the rest later: dig the beat, like the intro, I am definitely thinking of running away!....like the guitar, Nice! I’ll give the rest a listen over the next day or two...

@mnewb1

Like the tones and sound palette. That electric guitar is really wailing. Is your studio set up again - iirc you moved houses and had to disassemble that sweet studio space?

7DAE62A7-4720-4726-9DC8-99DC1788FC62.jpeg
7DAE62A7-4720-4726-9DC8-99DC1788FC62.jpeg
@mnewb1

Like the tones and sound palette. That electric guitar is really wailing. Is your studio set up again - iirc you moved houses and had to disassemble that sweet studio space?
Yes Ive got everything set up again

@Gary Blanchard

What is the second chord of the verse? I like the interplay of the acoustic and the electric, but they clash over that second chord.
The second chord is an F. I don't know how the electric and acoustic can clash, though. There is no acoustic guitar track in there. idn_smilie

By the time Sonik works on it I am sure it will be straightened out, whatever it might be.

@Knox in Box — a very clever cut. It feels like a sincere lament and an effective dick joke. It’s got a Judd Apatow film vibe. I dig it. It’s a good song and funny.

@Gary Blanchard — I like it. Blanchard goes Orbison. There are tuning gremlins in there somewhere, however.

@mnewb1 — Cool take on a retro-futuristic Nuggets-type R&B number. Cool groove. How’d you get that solo tone? Very nice.

@rsadasiv — I was about to tune out on track one (because I know yr stuff and there’s a good number to listen to) but then DAT GUITAR. This stuff has some real edge. These recordings have a frantic energy that your home recordings haven’t always generated. It’s a GOOOOOOD look. Thanks for the surprise. I’d be inclined to bitcrush the drums or run them through a fuzz to disguise the somewhat canned sounds. They’re not gonna sound natural, so highlight the fakeness. But still, cool stuff.

Sorry for the delay...it’s been a wild few weeks.

solo is a strat through an emulation of a vintage Marshal and a modern 4 x 12 speaker with dynamic 421 mike running through a delay and a compressor; the track is then doubled and split wide in the stereo field with an EQ and a studio compressor

Last edited:
I never got around to writing any personal reviews on these but I liked everything I heard. Thanks for all of the kind words. I even liked how that F chord was off by Gary. It added an avant garde flair to it that I would have found rebellious if I thought it was purposeful.

Like Gary collabed with AIC.

Back