Just had my worst gig ever

jbj

Poor old Geordie's array...
Seriously - I've DJ'd for over 10 years, hundreds of gigs and this was the worst by far.

Not even any drama or stuff I can tell a war story about, just a really rubbish night with next to no dancing due to a really obtuse client.

Anytime I played stuff that was actually getting people up, one of the birthday girls [who up until this point had taken nothing to do with any of the music planning or programming and had left it to her friend] would shoot over and tell me to get back to her playlist of early to mid 90s techno and house music - which obviously went down a storm with all 50ish mums and dads and the Irish pensioner family members who made up the majority of the crowd. :facepalm:

The girl wasn't even dancing to any of this shit herself!

I did my best given the circumstances but sometimes you just have to accept that a client would rather cut off their nose to spite their face.

At the end I always check that my client is happy and, because I'd went off piste and actually got a bit of a vibe going later on, she was clearly less pissed off than before but she did say: "I mean I don't know what it was, my crowd are all dancers but none of them were dancing..." translation - It's your fault Mr DJ.

To which I responded:

"Don't let it bother you ( :grin: :embarrassed: ) I do this week in week out and I wouldn't change a thing about how I approached tonight. Your tunes were all great - look at the highlighted songs here (hands sheet of paper), that's all your stuff and you can see 90% of what I played was from your songlist but sometimes people just don't want to dance and we can't physically force them to can we?" :embarrassed:

Mojo - but I figure that as long as the check doesn’t bounce, it’s not the worst gig ever!

"It's MY party and I'll ruin it if I want to!"

Yeah pretty much.

She was in a foul mood before the night even began because they'd drunkenly agreed to let a friends kid do some traditional Irish dancing and went through the list of songs her friend had chosen and tried to veto a bunch of them because she didn't like them :shrug:

It's over now. Hot tub wine will make it all better :)

I’ve worked for that chick before.

:grin: At one point I had the floor absolutely rammed and she steamed over:

"This IS NOT on my list."

"I know - it's a request"

"Who requested it?"

"I'm not sure but everyone seems to be enjoying it..." *motions towards full dancefloor*

"Nope, go back to my list, don't play anything but things from that from here on out."

"The thing is, that sort of stuff is great but unless everyone is really going for it, it's got a shelf life and it had petered out that's why I switched it up and started playing this sort of stuff."

"I don't care - just play my stuff and all of my friends will dance to it. I'll drag them up if I have to"

"No problem"

Floor quickly cleared, none of her friends danced and she'd pissed off outside for a smoke or to tell the caterer how she would have cooked the sausage rolls something and this pretty much summed up the last hour of the performance except for the last 3 tunes where I ditched her nonsense and got the place jumping again.

Her loss.

Back