Fender American Original Series

And those are the Jazzmasters I've been looking for forever. Too bad it's years past my days of disposable income.

Before anyone points out that my Eastsider has a rosewood board, I made an exception because it was the last one made.

Rosewood board = Tele fail.

Personally I think that's a load of bullshit, but hey..each to their own. Both maple and rosewood (or most other materials) work well imo.

Never once has choice of fretboard wood been a dealbreaker for me when getting a guitar.

Fwiw I prefer rosewood on Strats and I have a Gibson with a maple board. Both sound perfectly fine. :wink:

Personally I think that's a load of bullshit, but hey..each to their own. Both maple and rosewood (or most other materials) work well imo.

Never once has choice of fretboard wood been a dealbreaker for me when getting a guitar.

Fwiw I prefer rosewood on Strats and I have a Gibson with a maple board. Both sound perfectly fine. :wink:
I agree. I can’t tell any difference in sound. I prefer the look of maple in a big way.

Much like Howie’s all Headstocks are beautiful campaign (which we all know is complete BS) I say all bolt ons should have maple boards. :tongue:

In 1993 I bought a new Fender '62 vintage Stratocaster for around $700. Best guitar I own. Built exactly like a 1962 and I don't really see any difference between the 2 except that mine is in mint condition. Nitro finish that only has the slightest hint of crazing you can only see by holding it up in the light. The Rosewood fretboard is dark and smooth with tight grains. Early 90s was the sweet spot for build quality of Fenders and Gibsons. It was either before or just when the Custom Shop scam started up. My guitar is something that would come out of the Custom shop today. I would tell anyone looking for a traditional Start, Tele, Jazzmaster etc. to go on eBay and get something from the early 90s.

Well Gibsons with maple necks do have a slightly different sound. And some people prefer it. My 1980 Les Paul Standard has the sandwich body and maple neck which a lot of people put down. Anyway I like it's sound (1980 was a bad year for pickups and tuners though, and I have SDs in mine). But there is a difference in sound between a Les Paul with a mahogany or a maple neck.

I also prefer Rosewood boards on Strats and Tales, but every maple Tele I've ever played seemed to have the stereotypical sound you're always looking for.

I agree. I can’t tell any difference in sound. I prefer the look of maple in a big way.

Much like Howie’s all Headstocks are beautiful campaign (which we all know is complete BS) I say all bolt ons should have maple boards. :tongue:

The Reverend headstock looks stupid. I'd say it's a good thing I consider the guitar on the whole, and not the headstock shape. :embarrassed:

Back