Effects loop, do you use it?

telecaster911

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I’ve almost exclusively dumped everything into the front end of an amp whether it has an effects loop or not. Usually a cleanish or mildly driven amp so running my board in a nutshell puts the dirt before the processing when running into the front. Lately I’ve been checking out dirty amps. I’m thinking that I’m going to have to go through a loop to be happy with the processing sounds.

What’s your take on it? I’m referring to processing type of effects, not dirt pedals.

In the front end always, loop or no loop?
In the loop when available?
Always in the loop?

What’s in your loop vs out front?

I use these effects in an effects loop when available (no, not at the same time):

Delay
Reverb
Tremolo
TZF
Rotary
Clean Boost

The clean boost has to be clean. Something like an MXR Micro Amp or ZVex SHO. Dirty boosts sound awful in the loop.

Everything else is out front. I like phase and univibe before dirt, but there's nothing that says you can't put them in the loop. I also prefer pitch shifters/harmonizers out front. I think they track better closer to the guitar input and because of their tendency to be trebly/chirpy, I like that I can shape the tone with the amp's controls.

I've never use a loop. I didn't really start using effects (other than dirt) until a few years ago, so I never had a need to. Now, I never use a dirty amp, so I still don't need to.

All in the front. Have two tube amps, 99% is played through SS. All dirt is from pedals, since it's SS and not clean sounds like shit.

I usually put everything into the front. When I've run a 4 cable setup I've never been too happy with the results of having the time based stuff in the loop of my Badger 30.

I love effects loops. Reverb, delay, tremolo, other modulation effects go in the effects loop. It seems a shame to own a tube amp if you're gonna run everything into the front end and get your dirt from pedals.

It seems a shame to own a tube amp if you're gonna run everything into the front end and get your dirt from pedals.

Not if you set your amp on the verge of breaking up then slam the front with a good dirt pedal. I also like tube cleans better than solid state cleans, there is more depth IMO. Plus I’ve always thought dirt pedals sound like shit through a SS amp, they sound better pushing tubes.

But everyone has a different opinion of good tone, so whatever works to get you the sound you like, go for it.

Yep, always.

Delays, verb and clean boost for lead volume in the loop.

I do prefer modulation (the Mobius in my case) in front though.

Never. At least not with a guitar signal. I'm not entirely sure why they're even a thing. Seems like needless extra spaghetti and another potential weak link in the chain... i.e. failure risk factor (more cables = more likelihood of a cable issue).

I run everything into the front. If an amp doesn't sound good that way, then it's not the amp for me. Simple.

I use the buhgeezis out of them in a recording studio, but that's where they actually make sense. They have no business on a guitar amp.

Nope.

But I'm really N/A. I'm mostly in the '60's/'70's classic/hard rock vein. I have only ever owned one amp with an FX loop (Carvin X-amp) and it wasn't that great (pretty sure it wasn't buffered) and that amp topped out at JCM800-level gain. I use slapback delay more than either reverb or complicated delay setups and the only modulation I use is Phase to thicken up clean or dirty tones. Almost all my other pedals are filters (wah, envelope filters) and fuzz/OD.

Right now my only real amps are '66 Super Reverb (1x15"), Tweed Deluxe, two Champs.

Not since the 80's that I have used the effects loop. All of my effects are on the front end now as my amps do not have loops.

In the 80's, that how I got the sound of the 80's greats ie: Brad Gillis, The Edge, etc. Chorus and Delay sounded great through the loop for those ethereal sounds. The life of a rack owner.

I always use the loop. As others have said, time based effects (delay, chorus, flanging) pretty much have to go in the loop if you play with the amp's natural distortion a lot.

I have a TC Electronic Spark booster in the loop for a final clean boost (as someone said it HAS to be clean, any OD or boosts in the loop will usually sound terrible).

I also really like using an EQ in the loop at the end of the chain (10 band MXR these days) to craft the "final" tone.

Usually play in cover bands so I need a lot of versatility. I can't see buying an amp without a loop...

I too like an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop. I use it to get another footswitcahble sound. Other than that I pretty much just put delay or chorus in the loop.

Back