Songs getting Larsed

I was indeed showing you that Liddy was paraphrasing a common quote.

Not sure what the insulting tone was about.
That's not a G. Gordon Liddy quote.

It was a direct G Gordon Liddy quote and he paraphrased another quote. No insulting tone, the adjective fucking was used for my bookshelf. It was an exasperated tone because I typed in a direct quote, provided the 2 sources, and without checking the sources saying he didn't say it just becomes one of those frustrating internet idiotic conversations. In fact that quote was something people went around quoting after the 1983 Robert Conrad television movie came out, like the way people quote SNL or other funny things (it was common/popular knowledge at the time).

Dang.

4016d95006945f398fb7180f7698af11.gif

Liddy exasperates from the grave! :poke:party0009panic0:trollface:

Lighten up, Frances. (That's a sergeant Hulka quote, you can Google it).

Anyhow, can't we get back to hating on Lars? The album w/Lou Reed is probably one of the worst vanity projects of all time, and that's saying something given the participants.

Did I claim to be emotionally healthy?

Also, I intersected with a bunch of the people who cheered on the use of the courts to destroy small, decent people. I feel fine about remembering that level of personal shittiness - and holding it against them until I might hear that they think it was a mistake.

No matter how you feel about Lars, there isn't a metal drummer alive that wasn't influenced by these double-bass sextuplets.

Well this went to the dogs alright.

Never ceases to amaze me how touchy previous and current Metallica fans are at the slightest dig or poking a bit of fun at one of them. Not even Dream Theater fans are this bad. No sense of humour whatsoever. It's like telling a teacher they got long vacations (if you haven't tried that, do it) :grin:

Was only having a laugh, nothing more.
There was no dig, just a video of a bloke who just nailed Lars' mannerisms and playing style (and lack of musical taste).

Some of you guys need to lighten the fuck up.

Reactions: OGG
Liddy exasperates from the grave! :poke:party0009panic0:trollface:

Lighten up, Frances. (That's a sergeant Hulka quote, you can Google it).

Anyhow, can't we get back to hating on Lars? The album w/Lou Reed is probably one of the worst vanity projects of all time, and that's saying something given the participants.

funny thing is I don't need to google common quotes of the last 40 or 50 years. "All I know is I finally get to kill somebody"

Lars sucks but sounds good with Metallica (1st few albums)

Well this went to the dogs alright.

Never ceases to amaze me how touchy previous and current Metallica fans are at the slightest dig or poking a bit of fun at one of them. Not even Dream Theater fans are this bad. No sense of humour whatsoever. It's like telling a teacher they got long vacations (if you haven't tried that, do it) :grin:

Was only having a laugh, nothing more.
There was no dig, just a video of a bloke who just nailed Lars' mannerisms and playing style (and lack of musical taste).

Some of you guys need to lighten the fuck up.
I'm with you!

I'm not a Metallica fan, but I appreciate their decades long dedication and the impact they've had. I know the whole Napster thing made Lars a target, but I just don't get the incessant bashing of the guy. What's the point?

When my oldest is listening to his 5 Finger Deathpunch and similar music I hear a whole bunch of guys that whatever their skill level, have a drum sound and playing style dripping with Lars' obvious inspiration. Virtually every New Metal Drummer is trying to re-create the Black Album. I'm totally down with that, because it is one of the most sonically perfect records ever made. Like the songs or not, the production and ESPECIALLY the drum sound is nothing short of amazing.

I'm with you!

I'm not a Metallica fan, but I appreciate their decades long dedication and the impact they've had. I know the whole Napster thing made Lars a target, but I just don't get the incessant bashing of the guy. What's the point?

When my oldest is listening to his 5 Finger Deathpunch and similar music I hear a whole bunch of guys that whatever their skill level, have a drum sound and playing style dripping with Lars' obvious inspiration. Virtually every New Metal Drummer is trying to re-create the Black Album. I'm totally down with that, because it is one of the most sonically perfect records ever made. Like the songs or not, the production and ESPECIALLY the drum sound is nothing short of amazing.

My only beef with the production on the Black Album is how fucking loud the hi-hats are. Super bright, super compressed and IMO they just jut out too far over everything. I don't know if that was because of the digital transfer or if it was that way on the vinyl and cassette copies, but once you hear it you can't unhear it.

My only beef with the production on the Black Album is how fucking loud the hi-hats are. Super bright, super compressed and IMO they just jut out too far over everything. I don't know if that was because of the digital transfer or if it was that way on the vinyl and cassette copies, but once you hear it you can't unhear it.
Ahh, see... I LOVE that aspect of it. Maybe it's in part to my higher frequency hearing degradation, but I love nice crisp cymbals.

Here's "the point" of bashing Lars.

In the late 90's, the RIAA underwrote a series of lawsuits filed against Napster users. In many of those cases, the person had downloaded less than 40 songs. And the litigation sought massive damages against these individuals, specifically to put them in bankruptcy as a 'lesson to others.'

Think on that. Downloading a few dozen tunes should lead you to financial ruin? I don't think so. And let me insert this: I vividly remember watching my own copyrights from artists I worked with, and copyrights I owned, on the screen as it was happening in real time on Audiogalaxy.

My response wasn't "those people need to be hurt so badly that they can't recover." But Lars' was. So was Gene Simmons.

They reveled in the ruin of poor, regular people. Not 'expressed regret,' no, they reveled in it. Expressed enjoyment. So did a number of other people I knew personally. I disagree with that in very strong terms, even as a (mild) victim of the crime it was intended to stop. (Which it didn't, btw).

That run of lawsuits - which featured judge shopping, 'expert testimonials' that were pure pseudoscientific bunk, and flat out lying by corporate giants, didn't really stop until two things happened:
1. Judges became more familiar with the technology; and
2. The EFF got involved.

Having proportionate penalties is a hallmark of sane laws. Retributive, asymmetric and vindictive justice disgusts me, especially when it's millionaires targeting the poor.

Fuck Lars Ulrich.

Here's "the point" of bashing Lars.

In the late 90's, the RIAA underwrote a series of lawsuits filed against Napster users. In many of those cases, the person had downloaded less than 40 songs. And the litigation sought massive damages against these individuals, specifically to put them in bankruptcy as a 'lesson to others.'

Think on that. Downloading a few dozen tunes should lead you to financial ruin? I don't think so. And let me insert this: I vividly remember watching my own copyrights from artists I worked with, and copyrights I owned, on the screen as it was happening in real time on Audiogalaxy.

My response wasn't "those people need to be hurt so badly that they can't recover." But Lars' was. So was Gene Simmons.

They reveled in the ruin of poor, regular people. Not 'expressed regret,' no, they reveled in it. Expressed enjoyment. So did a number of other people I knew personally. I disagree with that in very strong terms, even as a (mild) victim of the crime it was intended to stop. (Which it didn't, btw).

That run of lawsuits - which featured judge shopping, 'expert testimonials' that were pure pseudoscientific bunk, and flat out lying by corporate giants, didn't really stop until two things happened:
1. Judges became more familiar with the technology; and
2. The EFF got involved.

Having proportionate penalties is a hallmark of sane laws. Retributive, asymmetric and vindictive justice disgusts me, especially when it's millionaires targeting the poor.

Fuck Lars Ulrich.
Pretty sure we didn't need the history lesson, and your entire post is completely unrelated to the question. That question (and I quite clearly qualified it), soley and exclusively was about bashing Lars AS A DRUMMER. The whole Napster thing had already been dredged up and discussed earlier in the thread.

You have strong feelings regarding Lars' involvement in the RIAA vs Napster thing. I understand. As someone who lives entirely off of royalty checks, and who regularly sees their copyrighted work being pirated, I know that at any given time there are a whole shitload of hands in my pocket. It sucks. A lot. My views aren't nearly as extreme as Lars', but while I don't agree 100% with him on the issue, it was an issue that needed to be addressed strongly in order to get any traction. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. And let's not forget the VERY important fact that Lars was acting as a spokesperson for Metallica as a whole. You didn't see James, Kirk, or Jason vocally distancing themselves from what Lars was doing and saying. That fact puts the onus on Metallica the band, not just on Lars. If you want to hate on the guy solely for that issue, then you must be prepared to dish out an equal portion to each of his band mates.

Further, how many people eventually wound up actually being prosecuted and left bankrupt for downloading a few dozen tunes? There's a difference between what "could" have happened, and what "did" happen.

Lastly, think about this: It's been almost 20 years since that mess went down. During that time, Metallica have released as much, if not more material than they had before that. On any given day, you can go to *Swashbuckler's Cove* and find an up to date, complete Metallica Discography torrent file in the Top 100. Every. Single. Day.

That's been true for over a decade, and is the long term backlash against "Lars" on full display with a great big "Fuck You!" attached to it. I think it's safe to assume, that since the Napster thing, Lars alone has lost more income to piracy than the lifetime net worth of anyone who was unfortunate to be made an example of.

Exchanging opinions is fine; I think it odd that you'd feel comfortable saying which are and are not okay. To answer your question, I'm aware of a dozen or so people whose lives were really throttled by RIAA suits, and many more who were stressed, etc.

I don't like Lars Ulrich, and I think it's a fine idea to hold past behavior against those who neither repent nor change (see: Weinstein, Harvey).

I also don't agree that the topic is long over; speaking of royalties, I'm certain you aren't 'enjoying' any checks you may or may not be receiving from Spotify.

Exchanging opinions is fine; I think it odd that you'd feel comfortable saying which are and are not okay. To answer your question, I'm aware of a dozen or so people whose lives were really throttled by RIAA suits, and many more who were stressed, etc.

I don't like Lars Ulrich, and I think it's a fine idea to hold past behavior against those who neither repent nor change (see: Weinstein, Harvey).

I also don't agree that the topic is long over; speaking of royalties, I'm certain you aren't 'enjoying' any checks you may or may not be receiving from Spotify.
I didn't say anything about which were ok and which were not ok. I simply made it even more clear that my question was exclusively about the incessant bashing of the man as a drummer, not as a man. It's become fashionable to shit on the guy's musical ability. The RIAA stuff had nothing whatsoever to do with the question and was irrelevant.

As for Napster.

No, not gonna get started.

We should do a thread on that. It's really the GIANT topic that people don't really talk about ...

Back