Hot or Not? More Gibson Lolz

wok

Unholy Meat Obelisk
Continuing on their failboat streak:

http://geargods.net/news/gibson-unv...ly-cool-looking-flying-v-the-modern-flying-v/

70967_2_ver1515758004.jpg

I want to like these. The streamlined 50’s car aesthetic reminds me of John Backlund’s designs. But the cutaway into the neck interrupts the flow of the design which kind of looks like dog shit. And the $4,500 price is laughable; they must be trying to sell these all to collectors who will want a first year model. But it’s not nearly as bad as that last new design that I can’t even remember the name of and nobody even bothered to add to the Wikipedia list of Gibson electrics. But I still doubt this design will be around after November (not counting the year or two it takes to blow them out).

I've seen that design before...somewhere?

Not sure where, but I hope Gibson stole it.cop0

I have an amazing idea. How about a regular V with fretboard binding and a premium model made of Korina? They haven't had either in a while, and the web seems to want them. Maybe I should volunteer to help Gibson decide what they should fucking sell.

I like it. I wouldn't buy one, but they look like fun guitars to me. (Price is absolutely stupid, though.) I'm sure there were plenty of haters and critics when Gibson released the Explorer, the Flying V and the Firebird way back in the old days, too.

That said, it's disappointing that Gibson did not choose to create an original design (regardless of whether this particular body shape is protected by trademark). While Gibson didn't make an exact copy of the Jackson or the Backlund, the similarity is clearly there. Gibson's IP lawyers probably did their due diligence, and they made sure the body shape was different enough to prevail in a trademark infringement suit.

Back