Fender American Original Series

but.....but.....but.....they're using vintage style hardware and stuff. rolleyes1

they lost me at "vintage high frets". who the hell wants those skinny damn things?
the first thing you do with a vintage strat (if it's not a 'collectable') is change the frets to medium jumbo, if you plan on actually playing it.

Something doesn't feel right about an expensive new Fender, especially a Tele. I get the collectible thing but a Tele is guitar simplicity. A working man's guitar. Too many really good options at half the price or less. I'd rather have a G&L that I spec'd for a grand. Or that Eastsider I saw hanging on someone's wall. :wink:

I'm guessing they're going to end up selling in stores for less. As I understand it, these will be replacing the AVRI series. Makes sense to give them a flatter fretboard and taller frets, as that was most players' complaints about the AVRI guitars.

I like the specs, pretty much AV with 9.5 radius, though I wish I could get alder body, soft V neck, and a RW fretboard.

I assume they are MIA, right?
That's a chunk of that $2k right off the bat.
I get that, but the only upgrade spec that should cost more is the nitro finish. They’re double the price of a standard American guitar.

I get that, but the only upgrade spec that should cost more is the nitro finish. They’re double the price of a standard American guitar.

Fender isn’t setting msrp based on cost alone.

I get what you’re saying from the consumers POV though

Yeah, not really quite sure why these are more than the American Elite series. I guess if I wanted a new strat or tele I'd probably go with the American Professional series and spend the $800 I saved on something else...

Fender isn’t setting msrp based on cost alone.

I get what you’re saying from the consumers POV though
I guess I’m missing the hook. What’s supposed to get me excited about these? V profile neck? Nitro? Copper base plate. Seems like a marketing misfire.

I like little frets. If the “vintage tall” are anything like the custom medium tall special whatzit frets on the new American pro series, count me out.

I think (?) I'm the core customer - and it still costs too much. They're surcharging for simplicity.

Honestly, when I saw the MSRP I started wondering if they are just desperately trying to get margin any way they can to offset losses at retail.

i'm a 'core' customer. i basically don't play anything but strats, except for acoustics.
if you like a maple board, the Jimmy Vaughn Tex Mex is basically a '57 reissue with med. jumbo frets, 9.5 radius soft V neck and hot tex mex pups and a very cool wiring system. i have one, bought it used. it's almost like new and i gave like $350 for it.
just sayin'

edit: so close to a '57 that it only has 21 frets, just like the original. vintage tuners, vintage bridge and 9 screw pickguard. the only visual non-vintage thing is the truss rod adjust behind the nut, instead of having to pop the neck off. and it's not nitro laquer.

22024423543_3939cf10c0_n.jpg

Last edited:
They're surcharging for simplicity.

IMHO they’re surcharging for collectibility. These aren’t guitars for the average Joe. They’re for people who already have a collection of guitars and want something different or special. Those people can afford to pay a premium.

Back