Songs getting Larsed

I think he is nice, a nice person and he doesn't deserve our scorn.

Until you recall his enthusiasm for impoverishing blue collar single moms who had the temerity to download his magnum opuses from Napster, way back when.

Fuck Lars Ulrich.

I think there's an enormous difference between creating a software program that is designed to circumvent copyrights, and someone downloading a few dozen tunes. And I think it's barbaric to refuse to recognize that difference when you see the horrifying impact it had on people.

The original RIAA lawsuits were little more than witch trials, and so many people really ought to be ashamed of themselves.

I think there's an enormous difference between creating a software program that is designed to circumvent copyrights, and someone downloading a few dozen tunes. And I think it's barbaric to refuse to recognize that difference when you see the horrifying impact it had on people.

The original RIAA lawsuits were little more than witch trials, and so many people really ought to be ashamed of themselves.

It would have happened without Napster. The new technology dictated the inevitable use. And people were burning copies of CDs anyway. If you saw the Tower Records documentary part of the problem was record companies artificially raising the price of CDs even though they were cheaper to make. A business model that depends on remastering the same shit from the past 50 years is a unsustainable model.

Record companies got what they deserved. And now iTunes is the legal Napster also depriving artists of their profits.

I am not a G Gordon Liddy fan, but he had a radio show in DC that followed Howard Stern while the whole Napster thing went down. He made a great point comparing Napster to Xerox. Do you shut down Xerox because people illegally photo copy copyrighted material? Of course not. The software was not designed to circumvent copyrights, much like a Xerox copier was not designed to either. It was designed to enable to share files from multiple hosts making file transfers faster because you weren't limited to single source uploading the file, because back then, bandwidth was terrible and uploads were slower than downloads.

That's not a good point, and it has absolutely nothing to do with deciding to ruin poor people for the equivalent of stealing 3 CDs. Also, G. Gordon Liddy is failed assassin.

That's not a good point, and it has absolutely nothing to do with deciding to ruin poor people for the equivalent of stealing 3 CDs. Also, G. Gordon Liddy is failed assassin.

My comment was directed at your "creating a software program that is designed to circumvent copyrights." That wasn't the point of the software, and Xerox didn't design the copier to circumvent copyrights.

I agree with you that going after people who downloaded a few CDs was pretty shitty.

Yes G. Gordon is a dick.

Well, he still contains some movable parts.
Ya cut me deep Shrek, ya cut me real deep. :(
Too soon. Way too soon. You’re better than that.
You're mocking me, aren't you Sherriff?
3de58388c3ad5e50c40797b253899bbb.jpg
153f049694d22592c8800560dbc5dc74.gif

My comment was directed at your "creating a software program that is designed to circumvent copyrights." That wasn't the point of the software, and Xerox didn't design the copier to circumvent copyrights.

I agree with you that going after people who downloaded a few CDs was pretty shitty.

Yes G. Gordon is a dick.

"In a battle of wits, you sir, are unarmed." (Liddy to his prison warden)

the problem with arguing with people who google is that they somehow feel confident in the quality of online information, and that somehow replaces actual experience based on wide exposure to various subjects and being alive long enough to have actually seen things when they first came out. The book is on my fucking bookshelf, would you like me to read it to you?

And if you think for a minute you might get the clue that Liddy was paraphrasing a common quote.

I was indeed showing you that Liddy was paraphrasing a common quote.

Not sure what the insulting tone was about.

Back