PRS Acoustics

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
No, I have no intention of getting one, but got an Email about a price drop on these. I had no clue PRS made acoustics. Anyone have any info on them? They seem to be in the $600 range, so not exactly encouraging.

The imports, like their electric SE line, are perfectly cromulent instruments. However, I prefer Godin and Takamine at those prices.

Pretty much this.
I was pretty excited when I found out they were going to start making acoustics, unfortunately I have yet to play one that doesn't sound and feel terrible.

Last edited:
Pretty much this.
I was pretty excited when I found out they were going to start making acoustics, unfortunately I have yet to pay one that doesn't sound and feel terrible.
exactly this.

We know I'm a fanboi, but their acoustics, at least the ones that I've played, felt/sounded like plastic.

It strikes me as a company looking to expand their market but not having the skill set. Sort of like when Martin tried making electric guitars.

It strikes me as a company looking to expand their market but not having the skill set. Sort of like when Martin tried making electric guitars.

Like their electric guitars, there's a huge quality gap between PRS' USA and import lines. So if you want to pay $3k for a high quality steel string, they've got that for you. But their SE line is meant to compete with Epiphone and Ibanez at Guitar Center.

Like their electric guitars, there's a huge quality gap between PRS' USA and import lines. So if you want to pay $3k for a high quality steel string, they've got that for you. But their SE line is meant to compete with Epiphone and Ibanez at Guitar Center.
I've never bonded with the PRS look, and am basically an acoustic guy, so I couldn't comment on the difference between the two lines. But when an electric company tries acoustics, or an acoustic company tries electrics, the results are usually not as good. Gibson succeeded at both (at least at some time). Fender acoustics, at least the ones with the Fender-style headstocks, were popular in the 60s. But, for the most part, companies seem to stumble when they step out of their specialties.

I've never bonded with the PRS look, and am basically an acoustic guy, so I couldn't comment on the difference between the two lines. But when an electric company tries acoustics, or an acoustic company tries electrics, the results are usually not as good. Gibson succeeded at both (at least at some time). Fender acoustics, at least the ones with the Fender-style headstocks, were popular in the 60s. But, for the most part, companies seem to stumble when they step out of their specialties.

Fender acoustics have always been atrocious. The exception to your rule is Collings.

Fender acoustics have always been atrocious. The exception to your rule is Collings.
I had two Fender acoustics with the electric-style headstock in the 1980s. They would never compete with Martin and the others, but, as a plug-in acoustic, worked for the music I was doing at the time. More recently I had a Telecoustic which sucked as an acoustic but was a nice "in-between" for an acoustic/electric sound.

I am not at all familiar with the Collings guitars; I have, of course, heard of them but never played them. There are always exceptions.

I played one in a pawn shop yesterday, meh.

The Yamaha they had for $200 was much better.

The imports, like their electric SE line, are perfectly cromulent instruments. However, I prefer Godin and Takamine at those prices.

cromulent. adjective. Appearing legitimate but actually being spurious : These citations are indeed cromulent. [a word used by the schoolteacher, Miss Hoover, in an episode of The Simpsons, in which she defended one made-up word by making up another]

Alex Lifeson of Rush plays them, but I'm sure he uses the $4k ones, not the imports.

Alex Lifeson of Rush plays them, but I'm sure he uses the $4k ones, not the imports.

Either there’s something wrong with the mic or that guitar sounds like ass. Too much bass and the high end has that godawful plinky sound of Yngwie playing nylons with a pick.

Either there’s something wrong with the mic or that guitar sounds like ass. Too much bass and the high end has that godawful plinky sound of Yngwie playing nylons with a pick.
It's a thinline acoustic, so yes, there is more treble than a standard acoustic. Probably where some of the plinkyness comes from.

Nothing is wrong with the mic. PRS acoustics sound cheap, which is absurd at their price point. The $350 Breedloves kill them all day long, and those are hardly my favourites.

The worst part is how ridiculously over-glossed and thick those finishes are.

Back