EZ Drummer or Superior Drummer?

Danhedonia

Noted duckfat enthusiast
Superior Drummer is on special for $179 -- only a few shekels more than EZ Drummer. Probably going to buy one - which should I?

Haven't pulled the trigger yet ... now looking (also) at Addictive Drums. Beginning to feel that EZ Drummer is not $150 better than MT PowerDrum?

If anyone is still seeing / reading / willing to respond, couple of last questions:
* How is the learning curve on Addictive? I know about the curves for EZ vs. Superior
* Do ANY of those 3 products have an easy step-grid display (not the MIDI editor) for pattern programming? Or is the point that once you get to this level, you should be comfortable using the MIDI editor from the DAW?

Haven't pulled the trigger yet ... now looking (also) at Addictive Drums. Beginning to feel that EZ Drummer is not $150 better than MT PowerDrum?

If anyone is still seeing / reading / willing to respond, couple of last questions:
* How is the learning curve on Addictive? I know about the curves for EZ vs. Superior
* Do ANY of those 3 products have an easy step-grid display (not the MIDI editor) for pattern programming? Or is the point that once you get to this level, you should be comfortable using the MIDI editor from the DAW?
I don't think there is too much of a learning curve if you've tried the other programs. I don't think there is a grid editor in Addictive drums. I always do my editing in the DAW midi roll.

EZdrummer doesn't have a grid display, but it does have a section where you can create beats by recording them (with triggers or mouse clicks), one hit at a time. You can then quantize, undo, delete specific drums, and add more hits to your heart's content. You can also use the Edit Play Style function to add hits and/or ghost notes to any drum and increase or decrease velocity.

Thanks to each of you.

For me, the grid is a writing tool - fastest way (for me) to randomly try stuff. Maybe if I did the randomization on the iPad and then did the 'final mapping' in the MIDI roll it'd be a cleaner workflow. I don't know - I'm so desperate to simplify.

I do think it will either be Superior or Addictive.

In larger ensembles the drummer may be part of a rhythm section with other percussionists playing, for example, vibraphone, marimba or xylophone. These musicians provide the timing and rhythmic foundation which allows the players of melodic instruments, including voices, to create collaborative musical performance.

As Sun Ra remarked, "as all marines are riflemen, all members of the Arkestra are percussionists". But if you have less ("fewer") than three(3) dedicated percussionists can you really be said to be living your best life?

Interestingly, Superior Drummer 3 is now out and after having watched a few vids...it looks like the drum vst to end them all. Wow.
I can see an upgrade in the near future. :embarrassed:

I’m pretty invested in Addictive Drums 2 at this point but I’m curious about Superior drummer. There is one that Pete Thorn uses that allows you to tap in bass drum patterns and it finds you beats that work with that rhythm. Is that Superuor Drummer?

I also have Steven slate drums but I never use it.

I’m pretty invested in Addictive Drums 2 at this point but I’m curious about Superior drummer. There is one that Pete Thorn uses that allows you to tap in bass drum patterns and it finds you beats that work with that rhythm. Is that Superuor Drummer?

EZdrummer does that.

I usually play the drum parts on my recordings, but I must admit, I'll use that feature once in a while.

Drums are one instrument I have no access to, nor the skill to play on a recording so that feature is pretty helpful to me.

Both EzDrummer and Superior Drummer can do that. It was originally an EzDrummer feature that Superior Drummer adopted with version 3.

Btw, after using Superior Drummer for a few years now I can say that it is by far the best one out there for creating realistic sounding drum tracks in the box.
And the built in midi grid editor is fantastic, for those who like to get really stuck in with the editing.
Also love that you can use the non-processed dry sounds if you want to, which you can't do with any of the other drum vsti's.
I typically use the dry sounds and spread them out on individual tracks in my DAW (SD3 gives you 32 separate outputs) and then mix it like any other drum kit.

Fwiw, the drums I did for my last single was done using Superior Drummer, one of the few I've programmed rather than played.
One of the kits that came with the stock library (Ludwig Classic iirc).

Both EzDrummer and Superior Drummer can do that. It was originally an EzDrummer feature that Superior Drummer adopted with version 3.

Btw, after using Superior Drummer for a few years now I can say that it is by far the best one out there for creating realistic sounding drum tracks in the box.
And the built in midi grid editor is fantastic, for those who like to get really stuck in with the editing.
Also love that you can use the non-processed dry sounds if you want to, which you can't do with any of the other drum vsti's.
I typically use the dry sounds and spread them out on individual tracks in my DAW (SD3 gives you 32 separate outputs) and then mix it like any other drum kit.

Fwiw, the drums I did for my last single was done using Superior Drummer, one of the few I've programmed rather than played.
One of the kits that came with the stock library (Ludwig Classic iirc).

Whoa! I assumed you played drums on that track. They sound amazing!

Whoa! I assumed you played drums on that track. They sound amazing!

Yeah, I'm really loving that drum sound. :thu:
Spending enough time on editing the midi velocities and articulations is very much the key to getting it to sound believable.

Normally I would have redone the drums with the real kit, but this time the drums sounded so good I didn't really have to. :embarrassed:

Yeah, I'm really loving that drum sound. :thu:
Spending enough time on editing the midi velocities and articulations is very much the key to getting it to sound believable.

Normally I would have redone the drums with the real kit, but this time the drums sounded so good I didn't really have to. :embarrassed:
Yeah!

Back