Rummage sale on music thoughts

Danhedonia

Noted duckfat enthusiast
I've never seen a Stones tribute band that included a "Brian Jones." Lots of Ronnie and a Mick Taylor here and there, but no Brian.

Is anyone making a steady income from music these days? Here's the list I can come up with:
Spotify / streaming services
iTunes / Amazon
Some live venues, and those who book them
A few labels
A few hundred acts that have a conistent live draw (hundred because I am including acts from all genres, e.g., Adele as well as the Dead & Company)

Why did I ever buy four dozen guitars? I can't even keep them clean, let alone set up and played. I feel bad for some of them. I bet they're lonely.

Does someone know how to explain "musicality" or "feel" or "groove" or choose your phrase, to those who don't have it? Asking for a friend. No, really, I'm asking for a friend .... who has no groove.

If you physically play a MIDI controller of some sort to trigger electronic drum sounds, are you "playing the drums?" Or no?

Why did Keetar Bear keep getting assaulted? Other street performers did not have that problem. Hmmm.

Sometimes I really wish that bands would put more thought into 'live shows.' Showing up and playing is nice, but it's been some time since someone made a concerted effort to really blow my mind with a light show and stagecraft.

The vinyl resurgence reminds me of how much of a pain in the fucking ass records really are.

Speaking of home playback, it's funny that Olde Tyme stereos, with their clunky speakers, copper wires you had to phase and attach (carefully) with a screwdriver, and had all the best science of 1950 in them, both sounded better and were easier to make work than today's media hardware.

Sometimes I consider myself very special because I knew people at Sony when they had the whole rootkit brouhaha, and I TOLD THEM SO. Over and over. And over. Idiots.

Realized just the other day that I've known probably low-three-figure totals of artists who've had problems with heroin, but I've never seen a single one of them actually take the drug (missed by a couple of seconds a few times).

Looking at the explosion of the booteek pedal industry, and my own experiences, I can foresee that format's sales falling off a cliff as guitarists shift to digital / VSTs. Hope I'm wrong.

Would love to read others' idle thoughts that may be "less than worth a thread, but worth airing."

Well I can't share my thoughts while I'm reading a post, because I have them when I'm just living life and probably need to write them down when they occur in order to compile a list. So I'll just comment on some of yours.

Why did I ever buy four dozen guitars? I can't even keep them clean, let alone set up and played. I feel bad for some of them. I bet they're lonely.

I have this thought all of the time. And I keep mine in their cases, so it's a hassle pulling them all out. I usually just rotate around to my favorite 4. But yes, the rest are lonely and out of tune.

Sometimes I really wish that bands would put more thought into 'live shows.' Showing up and playing is nice, but it's been some time since someone made a concerted effort to really blow my mind with a light show and stagecraft.

These are the only type of bands that I seek out to see live. Flaming Lips, Sigur Ros, St. Vincent - they all put a lot of thought into their shows. And a bunch of bands I like that not many have heard of.

Realized just the other day that I've known probably low-three-figure totals of artists who've had problems with heroin, but I've never seen a single one of them actually take the drug (missed by a couple of seconds a few times).

It's a secretive world. I've know a lot of junkies in the past. Only a few shot up around me. It's not a pleasant sight if you're not doing it.

I did see one overdose, but it wasn't a musician. Ick.

BTW, if you are into dreampop, Ken Stringfellow (Posies, Big Star) and the two guitarists from Mercury Rev are doing a secret-location barnstorming gig in September, google string is "tears of silver." $25. I can't wait.

Alternate tunings are a good way to get out of your comfort zone/muscle memory and make you really think about what you are playing.

Overdubbing/playing all the parts yourself is a lot like inbreeding - the whole family looks very much the same and you become susceptible to weird characteristics that are normally obscured by a dominant gene.

The vinyl resurgence reminds me of how much of a pain in the fucking ass records really are.
I think it is hard for bar bands to really work on stagecraft when you seldom really have a stage to work with. And yes, vinyl was not the easiest or best format for listening to music.

Alternate tunings are a good way to get out of your comfort zone/muscle memory and make you really think about what you are playing.
Using open D tuning has given me a lot of new ideas in songwriting.

Overdubbing/playing all the parts yourself is a lot like inbreeding - the whole family looks very much the same and you become susceptible to weird characteristics that are normally obscured by a dominant gene.
Way overdubbed.
prince-charles.jpg

Harry might be worse.

Back