So do you think Orianthi is really any good?

I see Orianthi as one more boring guitar players who writes boring music for other boring guitar players. That gets her lots of interest from the guitar magazines, so she gets endorsement deals, but I don’t think I’ve ever met a non-musician who knows who she is.

I think she's got some game...

...there are a lot of other guitar players out there, male and female, making a much bigger splash in the business who can't hold a candle to her as players or singers...

Her music may not be to my liking but that's an issues of personal preference...

As far as female guitarists are concerned, I prefer Sarah Longfield. She does something really cool and unique imo. Plus she does all the instruments and vocals herself.

She plays a mean uke, too.

Reactions: wok
She's worked with Vai, Santana, Jackson, Cooper and her own stuff.
None of those guys would have taken a non-proficient player on tour. So she has the skills.

The rest of it is preference in phrasing and tone. Totally subjective depending on the listener.

"According to You" is a good song... and her fast run at 0:29 might be something to write home about, love that kind of thing but they masked it with a synth portomento thing, :mad: makes me wonder if she just couldn't play it cleanly. If she can rip clean runs like that consistently then color me very impressed.

Voodoo Chile (SR) is fun, and I like how she's aggressive with it, like you said great for marketing and it also is something that could inspire girls to pick up the instrument and rock it. beavis0 Tone is too gainy and noisy and there's too much wankery going on but again I think that may have been the point, female going over the top with a guitar.

Maybe part of me just wants to see her hit the woodshed more and really pull off the tough stuff consistently.

Here you CV!

Can't get any cleaner than a Acoustic Guitar

Last edited:
Not gonna criticize anyone that plays better than me, and that's most of 'em.

Waddy Wachtel's "Oh, Sherrie" solo excepted...

From what I've heard of her playing it's not exactly my cuppa. Musical preferences aside though, she's a better player than me. As others have mentioned if she gets more kids, especially girls, to be inspired to play then I'm all for her.

^This, pretty much.

Oh man, her According To You video-- wtf was that solo doing in that song?

That whole shredder thing is just massively aesthetically displeasing to me, though. I feel the same about opera.

Things like Orianthi's career happen when guitar (or any instrument) starts to become culturally irrelevant.

she's a monster player for sure... BUT i think that she suffers from trying to find her own sound. Her 2nd album "Believe" was a favorite of mine for a long time. Tons of great pop rock tunes on that one. The subsequent album "Heaven In This Hell" was less pop rock and bluesier with a twist of Nashville flavor thrown in.

There's nothing wrong with that, but it was really forgetable. I probably listened to the whole album 2 times before I started listening to just a few songs only and now I haven't listened to it in a long bit.

I saw her open for Adam Lambert a few years ago... great show. She is a beast of a player. I'd love to have her chops.

Now she is playing with Sambora... who knows when that album is coming out....

I think she's wasting her skills
I think this is a pretty accurate assessment. She's got great skills, but not sure what to do with them. I think that has a lot to do with why she tends to end up supporting other bands/artists instead of being truly successful on her own. Guitar chops and the ability to craft great songs do not necessarily go hand-in-hand.

I saw her live when she was with Alice Cooper, and she held her own and played quite well in a tight, professional rock band. Her solos were musical and enjoyable. I loved the hell out of the show. I can't ask any more than that from any guitar player.
I saw her on that tour as well. I thought she did a great job.

Back