Please recommend a guitar cable...

Uh oh. I've had mine for that long and we've got our annual gig tomorrow. Hope someone has a spare.

ALWAYS carry a spare --

Even for work gigs (e.g. company BBQs, etc.) I always carry an extra cable, extra amp, extra strings, batteries, and usually, an extra guitar! Remember the Boy Scouts motto "be prepared".

I've got a variety of cables, including a 20 year old plus Whirlwind that has never missed a beat, a custom made one with quality cable and some top end Neutriks on it that my old bass player put together that is probably the best cable I've got, and a couple of D'Addario Planet Waves Accessories Custom Guitar Cable - Right Angle - 20foot (6meters).

The Planet Waves are the top ones I could find available short of their circuit breaker range and have a lifetime warranty. At three years in they have been rock solid with no issues so far and I've got no reason to doubt they won't last for many years.

Which Planet Wave are you using if they're dying every year or two?

Or what the hell are you doing to kill cables that fast? :grin:

I rock too hard

ALWAYS carry a spare --

Even for work gigs (e.g. company BBQs, etc.) I always carry an extra cable, extra amp, extra strings, batteries, and usually, an extra guitar! Remember the Boy Scouts motto "be prepared".
I've got a complete extra cable setup in my cable bag of "retired" cables that are still good. In a side pocket cable tied together are two instrument cables, a couple of power cables and one mic cable. I used to never carry extra amps but I've been throwing one of my Deluxes in the car even when I gig with my Suhr after the last year or so. And I always bring a double gig bag with two guitars.

If anyone wants that 20' cable pm me. $12.00 shipped. I will never use it.

Unless you buy into all that snakeoil salesmen rubbish, I would say cables make zero difference to your sound. Any decent cable that is reliable will do, as long as they are quiet and of reasonable quality. I wouldn't spend a fortune in booteek cables.

^^^ This. Cables are cables, for the most part. They're in no way an integral part of your sound.

I've got a complete extra cable setup in my cable bag of "retired" cables that are still good. In a side pocket cable tied together are two instrument cables, a couple of power cables and one mic cable. I used to never carry extra amps but I've been throwing one of my Deluxes in the car even when I gig with my Suhr after the last year or so. And I always bring a double gig bag with two guitars.

Is good advice, and I have most things spare including bass. (DI bass pedal stands in for spare amp.) But after a rash of spontaneous pedal-buying and lending a guitar to a beginner (with practice amp and cable) I'm now spare-cable free. In a worst case people will have to do without bass chorus for the more 80s moments.

But What Would Double-Bassists Do? Are their really irate Mingus reenactors bitterly schlepping two(2) of the above on New York's noted subways?

I have a bunch of different cables, but most of them are Livewire cables I bought at GC for a decent price. Several years of gigging and not one has crapped out on me. I also have a Planet Waves, a couple Fender, a Lava (gift to me), and a Monster(which I will never buy again).

Cables do make a difference. Cheapo cables with bad connections and high capacitance will have an adverse effect on your tone. That being said, I don't think spending more than $40 on a cable gets you anything other than TGP bragging rights.

Is good advice, and I have most things spare including bass. (DI bass pedal stands in for spare amp.) But after a rash of spontaneous pedal-buying and lending a guitar to a beginner (with practice amp and cable) I'm now spare-cable free. In a worst case people will have to do without bass chorus for the more 80s moments.

But What Would Double-Bassists Do? Are their really irate Mingus reenactors bitterly schlepping two(2) of the above on New York's noted subways?
Nah. Honestly most acoustic instrumentalists don't brings spares (that I know of) but their gear is less likely to fail on them then our electronic knick knacks and (relatively compared to a pro level bass) cheap mass produced instruments.

Cables do make a difference. Cheapo cables with bad connections and high capacitance will have an adverse effect on your tone. That being said, I don't think spending more than $40 on a cable gets you anything other than TGP bragging rights.
This is how I see it. Cheap cables are bad. Expensive cables are a waste.

This is how I see it. Cheap cables are bad. Expensive cables are a waste.

$1.50 to $2 per foot seems to be roughly the sweet spot for 10-foot and longer cables. If you're spending much less than that, you may be getting crap, and if you're spending much more than that, you're probably paying for snake oil.

I like these

91EQANgJI5L._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Gu...8&qid=1498663620&sr=8-7&keywords=guitar+cable

Back