The Official Jack's Place 2017 NHL Thread!

And did you know that Toronto is still paying Fat Phil about $1.2 mil each year for about 4 or 5 more years?

That WAS a great game.

In terms of why the Penguins are a pure shit franchise, recall that they have a history of having career-ending cheap shot artists on their roster - and in the case of Matt Cooke, giving that career-ending cheap shot artist an award for sportsmanship after ending the career of an opponent.

I think I've figured this out. The Penguins are currently the 'patriots' of the NHL, and Crosby is their 'Brady'.

I've been watching the playoffs from a fairly objective standpoint, and I have seen a hell of a lot of what one might consider cheap or overly aggressive play by players on every team. Certainly a lot of vicious hits in the Predators/Ducks series, and all I see from you guys is hate for Kessel and Crosby. LOL, I know it's hockey and fighting is part of the sport.

I may be rooting for the Penguins (mainly because my wife was born there) but if I were to choose a team it would be the Sharks.

I understand that there may be some bad blood due to some of the afore mentioned team actions, and I don't pretend to have the same league historical knowledge as the rest of you. Still, this is a lot like hating on the Raiders because you hated Al Davis. Has little to do with current events and players, really.

My main take-away from watching so far is the level of respect between the teams after fighting so hard. To go out like little leaguers and shake hands mere minutes after ending a violent battle shows true sportsmanship that you don't normally see between rivals. Too bad the fans don't show the same respect.

You know.....I think I am going to start over on page 1 of this thread.

And read/watch this whole thing unfold again..........

This thread has been all over the place (and that's an understatement), but you know what?

We're at the SCFinals, and I really think the Predators.........nah, probably not.

But we'll see.

@335clone , it's all good.

There's a running Fat Phil joke going on, though I admit it's getting old. Fat Phil scores goals, is what Fat Phil does.

But in any event......

We'll see what happens.

I think I've figured this out. The Penguins are currently the 'patriots' of the NHL, and Crosby is their 'Brady'.

I've been watching the playoffs from a fairly objective standpoint, and I have seen a hell of a lot of what one might consider cheap or overly aggressive play by players on every team. Certainly a lot of vicious hits in the Predators/Ducks series, and all I see from you guys is hate for Kessel and Crosby. LOL, I know it's hockey and fighting is part of the sport.

I may be rooting for the Penguins (mainly because my wife was born there) but if I were to choose a team it would be the Sharks.

I understand that there may be some bad blood due to some of the afore mentioned team actions, and I don't pretend to have the same league historical knowledge as the rest of you. Still, this is a lot like hating on the Raiders because you hated Al Davis. Has little to do with current events and players, really.

My main take-away from watching so far is the level of respect between the teams after fighting so hard. To go out like little leaguers and shake hands mere minutes after ending a violent battle shows true sportsmanship that you don't normally see between rivals. Too bad the fans don't show the same respect.

There are only a few that hate Kessel and Crosby and that seems to be more fueled by the dearly departed TP so I'm not sure why it's still going. Crosby is probably the best player in the world. Does he sometimes dive and whine...yep but so does Ronaldo. He does work hard during the game as well. Kessel, well probably from smog because he's a Leaf fan and Kessel used to be a Leaf though he was traded away by them :shrug: Kessel is a pure goal scorer and is a bit of a liability otherwise but on the Pens it's not a problem because they are a very talented team. I don't think it's quite like the Pats, but there are a lot of folks who don't want to see teams repeat (other than said fans of those teams). I don't like them because they beat the Sharks last year in the finals and did so on the only SCF game I have ever gone too, and may ever go too :Wave: Frankly the Sens were the underdog story, the team that really shouldn't be competing with the defending champs but were.

This year I put my support behind Nashville because of the Sharks and frankly I really like the way they play. I'm not sure if they can do it against the Pens without Johansen. I hope the series can be as good as the Pens/Sens was. That last game was a barn burner.

The handshake thing is traditional in ice hockey. Guys in general do have a lot of respect for each other. Doing it after losing the championship (like game 6 last year) or after losing game 7 in overtime must be really tough.

Back