NPD!

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Ive been looking to have a few different overdrives/fuzzes/distortions laying around so that I have some options depending on the gig and also to not have to rip either of my pedalboard apart whenever I'm doing something different that needs specific sounds. After lunch with Mrs W today I stopped by the Fountain Valley GC to see what was in the used case. Usually it's a bunch of crap but today they had some good stuff. I had them pull a Way Huge Green Rhino, an Xotic AC Booster and this out for me to try:

IMG_4963.JPG

I've seen these over the years but every time I've heard someone demoing one it's sounded like Sanatana playing with Nickleback. Actually trying it myself with a Fender Professional Series HSS strat into a Princeton Reverb reissue was great though. I especially liked that it has more dirt than my usual TS-style pedals but if you play lightly it totally cleans up. VERY touch sensitive. The boost is a nice extra feature. I'll try and do a video of it later today. The best thing is that I got it for $150 less than the current version sells for on their website.

I also have to say that the AC Booster sounded great and the Green rhino was only in third place by a small amount. I could totally gig with any of these pedals.

I've been wanting one of those for a long time. I just recommended it to someone here.

Congrats

The one you got is the older version. You can find them on Reverb for $100 pretty frequently. I like that one better than the newer version.
I haven't heard v2 but I'm pretty happy with this. I can't imagine them adding anything to make it more useful.

I haven't heard v2 but I'm pretty happy with this. I can't imagine them adding anything to make it more useful.

I'd have to look again, but I think the big change is a pot to adjust the level of the boost and a switch to put the boost before or after the OD. Both useful but in the clips I've watched the overall sound is different and I don't like it as much.

I'd have to look again, but I think the big change is a pot to adjust the level of the boost and a switch to put the boost before or after the OD. Both useful but in the clips I've watched the overall sound is different and I don't like it as much.
I'd have to check it out. When I get home I'll actually crank it with my deluxe. Currently waiting to pick up my son from school

Back