The great down-sizing

For you folks w/35mm slr cameras; put em on eBay and let them take up some other persons space. They're not making a comeback.

I got rid of my last one a few years back, I think I got $35 for it, plus shipping, lol.

Last summer we did "the great purge" - cleaned out 20 years of basement ballast and it was very liberating to do so. So the stuff that remained was the good stuff that we wanted to keep.

For you folks w/35mm slr cameras; put em on eBay and let them take up some other persons space. They're not making a comeback.

I got rid of my last one a few years back, I think I got $35 for it, plus shipping, lol.
Probably not, but I've got a few hundred vinyl albums in the basement that were never making a comeback either. :shrug:

With the closing of Premier we had to get rid of 2000 sq ft of furniture and music gear as well as simplify our life at home in a <1100 sq ft house. It's been a gradual draw down with a few big purges but it feels good.

The first thing to do is establish a rule that if you bring something new into your house, something old has to go. Maintaining equilibrium is something you can start now and a hard lifestyle for some people to adopt and adhere to.

Downsizing is pretty easy; give stuff to friends, sell stuff on CL or on consignment and donate anything else to local charities that accept household goods

Clothes I will give away but most of the stuff I have I wear until it's no longer wearable :P. Electronics get recycled. I have old diving equipment, underwater camera gear, an old SLR that I haven't gotten rid of but they probably should be just trashed since no one has any real use of them. Music equipment that I didn't want used to be easier, there was a local guitar store that would take things on consignment for 10% of the cost. But the last time I checked it was like 25% and they only gave store credit. If you are like me and not buying much store credit is pretty useless. I have an amp I should probably get rid of but I don't really want to bother with CL.

Every few years we undergo purges and that's when the older stuff usually goes, though along with the above stuff mentioned I have a bunch of old board war games that I keep thinking will be worth money but probably never will be

Here are some things that just HAVE to go.

- About 100-150 T-shirts. Everything from In Utero tour to utterly obscure shit from Hawaii
- Couple of nice Canon fake SLRs. G2 and G5.
- Shitloads of gig bags. I own 40 guitars; I do not need a gig bag for each one.
- Old crappy furniture. It's really gotta get the f outta here.
- PC parts from back when I assembled / modded PCs. Which dates to Clinton's 2nd term. Cough.
- 10,000 CDs. And that's after I 'got rid of what I didn't need.' Hey, it used to be a beautiful business.
- 3,000 vinyl 7"s. These I need to be careful - there's a lot of collector scum stuff in there, and they're easy to mail. Probably won't happen this year.
- Way, way too much kitchen / dining shit for 2 people. For example, I have about 50 pint glasses and an equal amount of wine glasses. I have a funny feeling that shelters aren't going to want Dogfish pint glasses.

Growing up without having much, I overcompensated, and now I'm just not interested. Still have a ton of fond memories, but the things really need to depart.

The electronics are hard to dispose of ... hoping I can sell those off.

Separate but significant: Oh, Lord, why did I ever buy so many heavy combo amps? Why, Lord? They're so freaking hard to ship .... and now I live in a city where no one is shopping these. JC120, HRD 410, Classic 212 ... that's like 200 lbs. of amp right there. Oy.

- About 100-150 T-shirts. Everything from In Utero tour to utterly obscure shit from Hawaii
Goodwill/SA
- Couple of nice Canon fake SLRs. G2 and G5.
eBay/Craigslit or donate to the local VoTech
- Shitloads of gig bags. I own 40 guitars; I do not need a gig bag for each one.
20.00 each on Craigslist, local pickup come and get'em..
- Old crappy furniture. It's really gotta get the f outta here
Junk hauler-if it's really crappy even the charities won't take it
- PC parts from back when I assembled / modded PCs. Which dates to Clinton's 2nd term. Cough.
Dumpster
- 10,000 CDs. And that's after I 'got rid of what I didn't need.' Hey, it used to be a beautiful business.
Value=10 cents each...dumpster
- 3,000 vinyl 7"s. These I need to be careful - there's a lot of collector scum stuff in there, and they're easy to mail. Probably won't happen this year.
Sit on them for now
- Way, way too much kitchen / dining shit for 2 people. For example, I have about 50 pint glasses and an equal amount of wine glasses. I have a funny feeling that shelters aren't going to want Dogfish pint glasses.
Good kitchenware can go to any number of local charites...do you have a soup kitchen nearby?

@Danhedonia

Separate but significant: Oh, Lord, why did I ever buy so many heavy combo amps? Why, Lord? They're so freaking hard to ship .... and now I live in a city where no one is shopping these. JC120, HRD 410, Classic 212 ... that's like 200 lbs. of amp right there. Oy.
Craigslist local and surrounding areas "will meet halfway"...

I do already donate clothing, furniture and kitchen items to some great local charities.

The electronics aren't going to be disposed of improperly - just not my personal values. Fortunately, we do have an electronics dump about 3 miles away.

You said nothing about the amps. 8)

Im in the process of selling off a bunch of stuff. Mainly woodworking equipment and large musical equipment (PA cabs, bass guitar gear, etc.) I slowly filled my houze with cool stuff before we had kids but now we need bedrooms etc.
Oh well. I bought everything on CL at good prices and Im breaking even or turning a small profit on everything.

So it goes. I like my daughter a lot more than any hobby-related stuff

I've donated, or made arrangements to donate, most of the stuff in my house. I'm moving and the wife and I decided it would just be easier and better to buy new stuff when we get to our destination. We are really only taking family heirloom type stuff and some of our personal stuff (guitars, cameras, books). At first ditching almost everything sucks, but it really is kind of liberating to not have all the extra stuff we don't really need.

Back