DAMN YOU PEDAL BOARDS!!!!!!.......

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
I'm trying to sort out the Goldilocks issues with my pedal board(s).

On one hand I have played entire shows with a Tech 21 Flyrig and the clean channel of a tube amp. That's fine for 90% of what I do.

However..... I'm now doing a lot of live looping.

90% of that I can get away with ONE Boomerang looper and the simple rig above.

When I start adding sounds.... like the Guitar Synth, or an octaver, or multiple distortion sounds... oh god the pedal board(s) grow exponentially.

:Rage:

This weekend I tore ALL of my pedal boards apart and started to figure out what to keep, what to sell, and what to buy.

Part of me says to scrap the GR-55 guitar synth shit all together as I only use it for certain tones and it's the same size as my guitar pedalboard... part of me says to get the GP10 or SY300 simply because they're smaller.

I spent a long time researching the Fractal AX8 as it's a nice package for sounds, effects, etc... but I know myself and I LOATHE sitting down with a computer and designing patches. I'm a plug it in and play it barbarian and probably always will be.

Other options include the Eventide H9, but I'd probably want something with midi to switch between patches (like the Boss ES5) but then I'm building a huge out of control pedal board again.

I think the solution is to make something like legos... little boards with the power supplies built in that I can take 1, 2, or 4 to a show and daisy chain them.... I dunno. It's so fucked. :annoyed:

Other options include the Eventide H9, but I'd probably want something with midi to switch between patches (like the Boss ES5) but then I'm building a huge out of control pedal board again.

FWIW, I use a Midi Mouse with my Pitchfactor. It's not an elegant solution, but it works.

I think I'm leaning towards the Eventide H9 and the Boss ES5 Loop switch. It will allow me to utilize as much as possible of my existing board.... and I can make a small Flyrig board and patch it into the ES5 by making patches that choose the onboard flyrig or the external flyrig.

Space will be the main determination on if the second looper lives on an accessory board or in the rig with the switcher and H9.

Last edited:
i love my pedalboard. however i limit myself to a pedaltrain pt-2. so if i want a new pedal something has to come off for a new one to fit.

I unloaded all of my pedals, board and power last month. I'm going to start over this summer with a 16" x 12" board and most likely a Cioks DC5. That will limit me to 5 pedals plus a tuner. I'm really going to take my time with it and try to get it right the first time.

I unloaded all of my pedals, board and power last month. I'm going to start over this summer with a 16" x 12" board and most likely a Cioks DC5. That will limit me to 5 pedals plus a tuner. I'm really going to take my time with it and try to get it right the first time.

And this November, Chad will buy delay #763, only to sell it in December for delay #764. :embarrassed:

I'm pretty sure the H9 Max is midi switchable....I was looking at that the other day....one of the reviews I read said that you can only use one effect at a time with the H9 series, which I would thing is a deal breaker. If you can mix and match stuff it's a definite keeper. Let's say you want a clean sound with delay, Reverb and chorus....if it can do that with one click of the pedal that's great. But if only one effect is available at a time it's not worth the $700.
Maybe I misread the review...

I'm pretty sure the H9 Max is midi switchable....I was looking at that the other day....one of the reviews I read said that you can only use one effect at a time with the H9 series, which I would thing is a deal breaker. If you can mix and match stuff it's a definite keeper. Let's say you want a clean sound with delay, Reverb and chorus....if it can do that with one click of the pedal that's great. But if only one effect is available at a time it's not worth the $700.
Maybe I misread the review...

H9 is a one algorithm at a time unit. There are some algorithms that combine effects, but it's not a multi-fx unit. If you want a multi-fx, get a Helix.

Shit like this is why I switched to instruments that don’t even have pickups. It’s amazing how much time you can save by not having to think about signal chains.

H9 is a one algorithm at a time unit. There are some algorithms that combine effects, but it's not a multi-fx unit. If you want a multi-fx, get a Helix.
Yup, that's a shame too. That one pedal could replace my entire pedal board if it weren't a one trick pony.

I use effects pretty sparingly... which is why I don't have a board with a fancy phaser, flanger, multi tap delay, harmonizer, ring modulator, etc etc... the H9 (provided I can switch between the effects I use easily enough) would take the space of ONE double stomp box, but be all those dozens of different effects I need for a single song.

Back