I never thought I'd type these words but...

You’d better be doing this shit for school, because there’s no way you have the time to learn banjo on top of everything else you’re doing.

You’d better be doing this shit for school, because there’s no way you have the time to learn banjo on top of everything else you’re doing.
Yeah. It's actually for a one time Dixieland thing but I want to have the instrument and be able to take gigs if it comes up again. None of the kids will actually lower themselves to playing banjo but this pays (not a lot but it does) and I'd like to just get known as someone who GETS SHIT DONE around there. I'll probably Tommy Tedesco it at first and tune it like the first 4 strings of a guitar...and yes, I need a 4 string banjo and not a 5.

Awesome. If you are familiar with open G already you are good to go (except for those rolls).
I can already play rolls on guitar so thats not a problem but this is going to be more of a dixie/plectrum sort of thing. Probably no soloing.

In a side note, I didn't realize there was "hipster dixie". These guys are pretty good though:

b0abe77e-40c2-44e5-8976-34d05f615fde_1.7d619f3651303b3961c56717d4a72509.jpeg

make sure you get all the necessary accessories.

Yeah. It's actually for a one time Dixieland thing but I want to have the instrument and be able to take gigs if it comes up again. None of the kids will actually lower themselves to playing banjo but this pays (not a lot but it does) and I'd like to just get known as someone who GETS SHIT DONE around there. I'll probably Tommy Tedesco it at first and tune it like the first 4 strings of a guitar...and yes, I need a 4 string banjo and not a 5.

Tenor banjo is incredibly useful. Especially if you're ever inclined to take up anything from the mandolin family, or the violin, violin, or cello.

Some folks here remind me of Banjo Hangout - folks who think a banjo must have 5 strings and be played in the "Scruggs" style. That would be like thinking every guitar should be a Strat and played "Hendrix" style.

I have often wanted to get a tenor banjo to play dixieland music. It is a lot of fum to listen to live, and seems to be a lot of fun to play.

Tenor banjo is incredibly useful. Especially if you're ever inclined to take up anything from the mandolin family, or the violin, violin, or cello.
So it is in the same tuning as mandolin? That might be something to look into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back