Question: Non-Buffered Effect Loop

RyanNo3

Pedals - Pedals - Pedals
I'm trying to minimize the board size. So I says to myself, I says... I sayz... Hey you have the option to mount a mini board right next to the head and run SoleMate Spring Reverb and El Capistan through the effects loop. This removes the reverb and delay from my disassembled board and frees up the power on my power supply.

There's a lot of hullabaloo going around about needing an effect loop buffer because the effects loop is passive.

What say you passive effects loops and such?

I wait your hummmms and responses...

:hmm:

no, but it's running through the circuit, right? Won't that automatically buffer the signal?

Not inherently because circuits are imperfect. I'm not saying I'm an audiophile that can tell the difference between two similar op-amps, but there is some degree of signal loss through an circuit that's not buffered.

I *think* the El Cap has one. Most Boss Pedals do... This reverb doesn't.

Try them and see. You'll be able to tell if they won't work.

The buffered loop is all about lowering the output impedance of the preamp for the FX and then boosting the FX output high enough to feed the driver stage of the power amp. Whether everything plays paddy-cake together all depends on the amp and effects used. So, trial and error.

Not inherently because circuits are imperfect. I'm not saying I'm an audiophile that can tell the difference between two similar op-amps, but there is some degree of signal loss through an circuit that's not buffered.

I *think* the El Cap has one. Most Boss Pedals do... This reverb doesn't.

El Cap is in buffered bypass in "trails mode".

Back