NUX PMS-2 Midi Switcher

Well, Its certainly been a while since I last visited to this forum, and as people are still having problems with this device, I thought I might post an update regarding my progress. Despite my best efforts to get the NUX PMS 2 to perform unlatched switching operations, I have finally decided to accept that it is a manufacturer flaw and that it is not physically possible to send a midi command to the NUX PMS-2, and have it respond by triggering a momentery signal. I even went as far as opening up the casing to see if there were any internal jumpers which could be moved to allow this type of operation (To no avail, of course).

Having received no help from the manufacturer or the retailer, I decided to proceed at my own risk. I determined that sending a latched signal into an amp which requires a momentary signal would be just the same as holding my foot on the momentary pedal for an extended period of time. Seeing as this is very easy for a user to do, I would assume that the amp manufacturer (Marshall, in this case) would have included protective circuitry to accommodate for this. The only potential pitfall with this idea would be whether the amp switches upon making or breaking the connection in the switch (placing or releasing my foot from the pedal).

To test this out, I connected the included Marshall 6 button foot switch via it's DB15 connector and held my foot on each of the buttons individually, the amp switched channels upon making the contact, and holding my foot down did not appear to have any adverse effects on the amp or its sound (GREAT!). I therefore determined that it would be safe for me to run the NUX PMS-2 in latched mode to switch the channels on the Marshall Mode Four. With that in mind, I opened up the Marshall foot switch to determine which switch is connected to which pin on the DB15 connector, I then fabricated a custom adaptor with a DB15 on one end, and three 1/4" Stereo jacks on the other. I now have the NUX performing the operations of each of the six switches on the original Marshall controller (Which is very convenient, as the NUX PMS-2 happens to have six switching outputs).

I have been running this set up for about nine months now, and have noticed no adverse effects on the amplifier as a result. The only fault that I can give this set up is that the channel buttons on the front face of the amp do not function while the NUX is connected, as it is always receiving a signal from it, the panel buttons conflict with this. The only way to change the channel on the amp (Besides using my mini controller) is to press the physical buttons on the NUX itself (once to un-select the currently selected channel, and again to select the new channel) this is not the prettiest solution, and of course would not be a problem if the NUX actually worked as advertised, but I will take it over tap dancing between the amp's foot controller AND my POD X3 Live.

Of course, this is just my own personal experience with the specific equipment that I am using, and I do not recommend people to try this solution if they do not know what they are doing, as Gorgon90 has correctly stated above damage could be done to equipment if the wrong type of signals are being sent/received.

Regards,

Lewis

Well, Its certainly been a while since I last visited to this forum, and as people are still having problems with this device, I thought I might post an update regarding my progress. Despite my best efforts to get the NUX PMS 2 to perform unlatched switching operations, I have finally decided to accept that it is a manufacturer flaw and that it is not physically possible to send a midi command to the NUX PMS-2, and have it respond by triggering a momentery signal. I even went as far as opening up the casing to see if there were any internal jumpers which could be moved to allow this type of operation (To no avail, of course).

Having received no help from the manufacturer or the retailer, I decided to proceed at my own risk. I determined that sending a latched signal into an amp which requires a momentary signal would be just the same as holding my foot on the momentary pedal for an extended period of time. Seeing as this is very easy for a user to do, I would assume that the amp manufacturer (Marshall, in this case) would have included protective circuitry to accommodate for this. The only potential pitfall with this idea would be whether the amp switches upon making or breaking the connection in the switch (placing or releasing my foot from the pedal).

To test this out, I connected the included Marshall 6 button foot switch via it's DB15 connector and held my foot on each of the buttons individually, the amp switched channels upon making the contact, and holding my foot down did not appear to have any adverse effects on the amp or its sound (GREAT!). I therefore determined that it would be safe for me to run the NUX PMS-2 in latched mode to switch the channels on the Marshall Mode Four. With that in mind, I opened up the Marshall foot switch to determine which switch is connected to which pin on the DB15 connector, I then fabricated a custom adaptor with a DB15 on one end, and three 1/4" Stereo jacks on the other. I now have the NUX performing the operations of each of the six switches on the original Marshall controller (Which is very convenient, as the NUX PMS-2 happens to have six switching outputs).

I have been running this set up for about nine months now, and have noticed no adverse effects on the amplifier as a result. The only fault that I can give this set up is that the channel buttons on the front face of the amp do not function while the NUX is connected, as it is always receiving a signal from it, the panel buttons conflict with this. The only way to change the channel on the amp (Besides using my mini controller) is to press the physical buttons on the NUX itself (once to un-select the currently selected channel, and again to select the new channel) this is not the prettiest solution, and of course would not be a problem if the NUX actually worked as advertised, but I will take it over tap dancing between the amp's foot controller AND my POD X3 Live.

Of course, this is just my own personal experience with the specific equipment that I am using, and I do not recommend people to try this solution if they do not know what they are doing, as Gorgon90 has correctly stated above damage could be done to equipment if the wrong type of signals are being sent/received.

Regards,

Lewis

Good to hear you got something working even if not as intended! :thu:

hello i have purchase a Carvin v3m, it has a jack port for channel switching, 3 channels, but the nux only switch between 2 channels… what is wrong? Thanks a Lot

hello i have purchase a Carvin v3m, it has a jack port for channel switching, 3 channels, but the nux only switch between 2 channels… what is wrong? Thanks a Lot

@romero_sl - Just checking for this thread and realised I'd missed your post in my old thread. Checking the manual for the Carvin v3m, I can see it has a TRS jack socket for channel switching (labelled FS22). Googling Carvin's FS22, it appears to have 2 latching switches so this should work with the NUX PMS-2. Running a stereo jack lead with TRS jacks on either end should let you use one of the pairs of switches on the NUX (1&2, 3&4 or 5&6) to control the Carvin.

From the picture in the Carvin manual it states that the tip switches channel 3 in or out, and the ring swaps between channels 1&2.

If you use the plug for switches 1&2 on the NUX, I'd expect button 1 on the NUX to switch the Carvin from and to Channel 3. Button 2 on the NUX would swap between channels 1 & 2 on the Carvin. If you see earlier in the thread, once you've go the switches working, there's plenty of info on how to set the program number and settings.

I've also gone back and added my original pictures as they got lost in a Forum change some time ago by the look of it. Lucky I still had the pictures saved!

Last edited:
Back