If They Had Only Known You. Demoish recording.

tamoore

G33K
Very rough mix. It's too high for me to sing right now, and I basically blew out my voice trying.
Something happened during the render, and the first few bars of the bass guitar never made it to this mix.
But, this is just a sounding board.
Needs harmony vocals, and some kind of an ending. Thinking of a Beatles like A7 chord with a tom roll tag.

What do you think?

If They Had Known You.

Billy said "she's got a way about her"
Elvis sang it tenderly
Chicago had an inspiration
Steve Perry loved her faithfully

Paul filled the world with silly love songs
Sir Elton wrote Your Song for who?
These songs would be about someone else,
If they had only known you.

Chorus:
Every song that I hear is about you
Country, rock, funk and soul
You are the love in every love song I hear
You are the rock that makes my heart roll
The Rolling Stones and the Beatles
Wild horses, love me do
Would have been written about someone else

Lady in red's about a beauty
Stevie called to say I love you
Whitney H. Will love you always
Frankie will fly you to the moon

George he knew that there was something
Bon Jovi will be there for who?
These songs would be about someone else,

Chorus.

Fun! I agree that a tag at the end would finish it off nicely.
One criticism: there are a few lines where you've crammed a lot of lyrics in, which forces you to sing them very awkwardly (e.g., "Would have been written about someone else").
Maybe think of how to rephrase so the lines can be sung more like they would be spoken.
Looking forward to the finished version.

Thanks Mike.
I do have a problem with trying to fit too much word stuffs into too little music spaces. :wink:

I recorded my version of Destined To Be over the weekend.
Lots of mixing and production work left to do, and I'm trying to figure out the harmony vocals arrangement I want.
I pretty much ripped your solo off mostly (from memory), except the bits I'm not good enough to play. Also I used your drum groove. I think I went a little faster on the tempo too.

http://bigbangbar.org/uploadedFiles/tamoore_Destined2Bsolo.mp3

Thanks! :)

It's amazing to me just how poor my room is matching my other sources. The recordings sounds great on my monitors, but are boomy and lack any kind of definition when I play them on any other source. Ordering some monitor stands today to try to get the monitors more to my ear levels.

as someone who is just starting to craft whole songs, I really appreciate this...overall nice tune, I like the lyrics a lot, I am not yet qualified to critique the finer points of composition and mixing, but I am pumped to follow along. Good song!

as someone who is just starting to craft whole songs, I really appreciate this...overall nice tune, I like the lyrics a lot, I am not yet qualified to critique the finer points of composition and mixing, but I am pumped to follow along. Good song!

Thanks. I'm hoping this one pulls together fine when it's finished. :wink:

Thanks Mike.
I do have a problem with trying to fit too much word stuffs into too little music spaces. :wink:

I recorded my version of Destined To Be over the weekend.
Lots of mixing and production work left to do, and I'm trying to figure out the harmony vocals arrangement I want.
I pretty much ripped your solo off mostly (from memory), except the bits I'm not good enough to play. Also I used your drum groove. I think I went a little faster on the tempo too.

http://bigbangbar.org/uploadedFiles/tamoore_Destined2Bsolo.mp3

Thanks! :)

It's amazing to me just how poor my room is matching my other sources. The recordings sounds great on my monitors, but are boomy and lack any kind of definition when I play them on any other source. Ordering some monitor stands today to try to get the monitors more to my ear levels.
Nice!
I found it easiest to have the backing vocals hold out one note on "be"--rather than trying to follow the lead vocal's quick, descending line, if that helps.
I finally broke down a while back and put some treatment up on my walls. It's much less reflective in my room now, which makes the mixes more transferable and is waaaaaay easier on my ears. I do have to remember to pull the bass down before final rendering, as I don't have a sub. But after that, it's usually pretty consistent in the living room stereo, the car stereo, and the iMac.

Nice!
I found it easiest to have the backing vocals hold out one note on "be"--rather than trying to follow the lead vocal's quick, descending line, if that helps.
I finally broke down a while back and put some treatment up on my walls. It's much less reflective in my room now, which makes the mixes more transferable and is waaaaaay easier on my ears. I do have to remember to pull the bass down before final rendering, as I don't have a sub. But after that, it's usually pretty consistent in the living room stereo, the car stereo, and the iMac.

I'm listening to a lot of my favorite music in my "studio" now, Learning the way it sounds, and using that reference to how I want my recordings to sound. I think that'll help me learn the room.
Thanks for the tip on the backing vocals. I was thinking of padding out the chorus at "be", and just holding that chord out through "you and me", and doing the same at "complete" through "for eternity", if that makes sense. Then I'll see what flows through the rest of the chorus. Not sure about that.

I like that one. I think I'll have to throw this on now.

file-1.jpeg

Hey, that turned out nice! I'd turn up the lead vocal just a touch, though. Can't quite hear the lyrics.

Hey, that turned out nice! I'd turn up the lead vocal just a touch, though. Can't quite hear the lyrics.

Thanks mike. On my stuff it sounds out front enough, but I dislike my voice enough that I'm always trying to bury it... lol. I'll have a listen on some other sources. I know you're correct.

Back