Speaker cone repair? (cvogue is an idiot content...)

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
So I did some speaker swapping, ended up with a Celestion Creamback languishing in my car for a while... been trying to sell it but no bites yet. Dumb move leaving it in my back seat because I had to stop short the other day and the box it was in spilled onto the floor of the car and now there's a rip at the edge of the cone.

D'oh!!!

So, is it worth repairing? How much is it worth now (aside from that it's in almost mint shape).

Bummed...

You can buy a recone kit and do it yourself. It takes some patience and a steady hand, but it's not that hard. Much cheaper. I've only ever had vintage or hi-fi speakers reconed, which were definitely worthwhile. I have a local guy I use mainly, but have also used Orange County Speaker. I think they sell the kits as well.

You can buy a recone kit and do it yourself. It takes some patience and a steady hand, but it's not that hard. Much cheaper. I've only ever had vintage or hi-fi speakers reconed, which were definitely worthwhile. I have a local guy I use mainly, but have also used Orange County Speaker. I think they sell the kits as well.

Orange Co. speakers is out of business.

cvogue, how big a rip and where? Small tears can often be patched up with tissue and glue.

Orange Co. speakers is out of business.

cvogue, how big a rip and where? Small tears can often be patched up with tissue and glue.

Small rip (half inch or so) right at the outer edge. I'll see what I can do with it...

Anyone want a slightly used... more slightly damaged 16 ohm Creamback? :tongue:

If it's too close to the frame, you'll only be able to patch it from the top, but that's the surface that matters anyway. I believe that the closer it is the the surround, the less impact any rip will have to the speaker performance anyway.

I use black tissue, like you would use for gift wrapping, and watered-down Elmer's white glue. 4 to 6 pieces layered one by one. As with anything guitar-related, there are dozens of opinions of the right paper and glue to use and why, most just as valid as the next.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I used a piece cut from a brown paper bag and diluted elmers glue when I patched a hole in a speaker.

Back