Monel Guitar Strings

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
I was looking at an ad from Strings and Beyond featuring Martin Retro strings, made from Monel, a nickel-based product. I have a set coming on Monday and will check these out on the Epiphone; I'll report my findings.

Anyone have experience with these? It seems Tony Rice is a big fan of them.

Martin gave me ten packs at NAMM this summer when I asked about them for my Martin. On it's next string change it will be getting them.

I finally felt well-enough to change the strings; good since I have two gigs this week. My first thought is that I like the look better than the phosphor/bronze strings. I have been playing them a bit and can't really say they sound that different to my ear, but they do sound nice. We'll see what happens when I plug in Saturday.

Mon-El makes strings?
latest

Curious to hear what you guys think. The standard Martin phosphor/bronze that the shop put on when I got my Martin set up are a bit zingier than I like. These sound like they might be a good alternative.

Curious to hear what you guys think. The standard Martin phosphor/bronze that the shop put on when I got my Martin set up are a bit zingier than I like. These sound like they might be a good alternative.
I am getting ready to restring the Epiphone with Phosphor Bronze strings. These don't provide the bassier sound that I look for. Not bad strings, but not for me. The Epiphone, by the way, is now my open tuning acoustic.

Back