Yamaha FG question

335clone

Living the dream
I have an old FG300 that I am fixing up. It is a nice player but has the peeled pickguard issue.

I started doing a bit of research on the guitar and found quite a bit of lore and a bit of mystery regarding the red labels. As I understand it, the red labels were MIJ from 1968-1971 at Nippon Gakki. Then they were made in Taiwan and had a creme colored label from 72, and a number of other color labels. The red labels are the sought after of all these.

Mine is a red label, but the s/n implies a July 1972 build according to the guides I can find, and the seven numeral s/n is from the Kachsiung Taiwan factory, which put out the creme labels.

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/ac-guitars/796/4094

Any thoughts? transition instrument made with parts from the Japanese factory in taiwan?

For those with knowledge of the guitars, it has the YAMAHA inlay on the headstock, metal truss rod cover with yamaha and spoke emblem, 3 point flowered pickguard, adjustable bridge, 3 ring rosette, bound body, neck and headstock, split block markers..

I'm certain the red label is original. The guitar was a gift from the first owner who got it as a graduation gift.

Well,
Finally heard back from Yamaha. Built in Taiwan with the remaining parts from Japan. 7/18/72 unit 118.

In the end, who cares if it was built in Japan or Taiwan?
It. Is. Awesome.

Yamaha FG-300 (1).jpg

I removed the warped and peeling pickguard a long time ago. This weekend it is going to the luthier to have the pickguard installed correctly, new bone nut, tusq bridge pins, and a setup.

All those old Yamaha acoustics were very solid instruments. I used to have a creme labelled on from about 74 - 75 or so I gave to a you guy who wanted to start playing guitar but his family was flat broke.

I should check with him - if he isn't using it I want it back... :wink:

Got it back yesterday, and couldn't be happier. The pickguard is flat and in place, and it is set up just as I like. Plays like a dream and it is booming. The luthier was similarly impressed with it.

A red label FG 140 (I think) was the first guitar I bought new. Great guitar that served me well for many years. Sold it for weed money. Duh.

I've got a red label Yammy of confusing provenance, too. Mine's a 12er, which complicates things.

Back