Freaking out a little

shoeless

Riffin'
First a little background, me and 3 of my buddies have a "band" (and I use the term loosely) that is really more of a weekly jam in our singer's basement. Over the last couple of years, we have built up a fair repertoire of songs that we can more or less pull off. We've played at a few friends' parties, and have played a couple of times at the neighborhood bars...again, mostly filled with friends.

So our bass player, Tony, who is our most senior member, signed us up to play at his 50 yr high school reunion in August, Class of '66!. He said they expect about 350 people. That will be, by far, the largest crowd of strangers we've ever tried to play for. We've been trying to learn a bunch of 60's era songs for it. I keep telling myself not to worry about it since I won't know any of those folks and at 60+ yrs average age, they probably won't care too much. But still, deep down, I'm freaking out a little bit. We're really not an act that people would pay to see.

I know, I need to relax and not worry about it, right?

It's all good. Embrace the music. Use your fear as adrenaline, not poison. Send out as many positive vibes to your audience as you can and hopefully the energy will multiply and come back to you.

It's all good. Embrace the music. Use your fear as adrenaline, not poison. Send out as many positive vibes to your audience as you can and hopefully the energy will multiply and come back to you.
If you look like you are having fun the crowd will have fun. Wise words, Baimun.

Just have fun with it. The only time I have ever really been nervous before a gig, was the first time I played a show sober. It wasn't like I had to drink before a show to go on, I just happened to be a big drinker, so most nights I was drinking, and some of those nights were gigs. I hadn't been drinking for years, and didn't ever really think about it until a few hours before the gig. The gig ended up fine, no big mistakes and I had a blast.

I get nervous before every gig no matter how big or small. In a way, I like it. It keeps me sharp and focused. Try to use it in a positive way.

Thanks guys, I'm sure it'll be fine, and there will undoubtedly be bumps along the way that no one will notice but us. Worst case, there's always this:

dont-just-erase-bad-memories.jpg

Well, the gig was Saturday and overall it went pretty well. The 350 headcount previously reported turned out to be an exaggeration. They may have sent out that many invites, but the crowd was more like the 75-100 tops. They were a fun crowd and had been partying prior to us playing, so they were in a pretty good mood. It was apparently a 2 day event with Saturday night being the last party.

Only played 2 sets due to timing. Dinner was at 8:embarrassed:0, we started around 9:embarrassed:0 and were done by 11:30. I guess that's one advantage to playing for an older crowd. :)

We added a handful of 60s era songs to our usual stuff for the party.

House of the Rising Sun - Animals
Mustang Sally - Wilson Pickett
Green River - Creedance Clearwater Revival
Bad Moon Rising - Creedance Clearwater Revival
Secret Agent Man - Johnny Rivers
Spooky - The Classics IV
Walk, Don't Run - Ventures
I'll Cry Instead - Beatles
Day Tripper - The Beatles
I've Just Seen a Face - Beatles
I Saw Her Standing There - Beatles
Hello, Mary Lou - Ricky Nelson
Good Lovin - The Rascals​

The song that got the most people on the dance floor?.....Mustang Sally. I guess you really do have to play worn out cliches to make people happy.

Sounds like a blast.

I'm trying to remember if I have ever seen a band play Mustang Sally. I don't think I have.

I have two pieces of advice for you: sunglasses and a sneer. These trump stage-fright every time.

OK, it was a reunion. Someone there had a camera.
Yeah, only I don't know any of the attendees. Our keyboard player's (who was added in late June...our drummer's nephew) girlfriend was there though. We've asked if she took any. I'll link them once I have some.

The rest of us are all old married guys. Our running joke of the night was, "How do you tell the difference between a girlfriend and a wife? A girlfriend shows up to your gigs." :grin:

Back