What are you working on this week?

Working on I Wish from Stevie Wonder. @Mark Wein , I have the walking bass line (I'm using my looper) and then all the m7th chords... Only thing that's escaping me right now is the do doot doot do breakdown. Can't tell if I should be vamping or single line.
I'll have to listen to it when I get chance.

Piano part for All Blues. Work up the solos next week.

all_blues.gif

Nothing, and I feel like a slug. I pick up a guitar and just find no energy to explore anything new. Work stress is draining me.

I am back working on West Coast Blues to improve my comping. Also trying get more definition in certain guitar sounds. All of it being style related. After all the Hollywood Fats sound is much different as compared to Rick Holmstrum or Junior Watson, etc.

As for technique, looking to expand my arpeggio range and better connect chord tones through moving chords. For the past 2 years I was playing arps going around the cycle of 4ths and 5ths. Need to try other intervals as well as I want to work in interconnecting them better. Creative visualization really helps in seeing the patterns. The rest is a matter of hearing the patterns.

Also trying to string skip during arps. Trying to open up the sound much more.

I'm still trying to settle on the way I hold my pick. After adapting a certain way for the last couple of weeks (a way that did not feel natural at first but seemed to be good for muting the strings below the one I play) I've noticed 2 days ago that I tend to brush the low E (and\or A) string when I pick, so I might have to figure out another way to hold it.
In addition, I'm having some neck\shoulder pains. I don't think it is caused by the way I hold the guitar\pick, but it certainly doesn't help my playing.
I'm also trying to work on my hearing and singing.
The one thing I am proud of, is that I did manage to go easy on the metronome, aiming for stamina and not just higher BPM.

Back