Let's talk about noise reduction...

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
So I have a Zoom G3 (in the loop of my HT-40) and it has noise reduction that I've had turned on but never really tweaked it much. Tonight I was experimenting and I didn't like all the noise that my OCD created when I kicked it in for leads. Very noticeable when not competing with drums, bass and keys. So I tweaked the noise reduction and cut the noise way back.

Cool!

But then there wasn't any sustain, the noise reduction was reductioning too much.

So I backed it off, and came up with a good compromise. It's a lot quieter than before and there isn't too much (if any) extra reduction on sustained notes.

So for all you noise reduction experts are there any other tips for a NR Newb?

Thanks for any insight.

I use an ISP G-string with my Quickrod in the loop. It does a great job there. It's able to gate both noise from the preamp and noise from pedals in front of the amp. As well as 60 cycle hum.
In my Marshall rig I use a Boss NS-2. I have that rig setup differently though. Since the JCM 800 is not a high gain amp, I use a Blackstar HT Dual pedal and plug into the Lo input.
The Boss essentially becomes a "noise gate loop".
The ISP is a much smoother gate but the both work very well.
Is there a particular question you have as far as using a gate in your setup?

I use an ISP G-string with my Quickrod in the loop. It does a great job there. It's able to gate both noise from the preamp and noise from pedals in front of the amp. As well as 60 cycle hum.
In my Marshall rig I use a Boss NS-2. I have that rig setup differently though. Since the JCM 800 is not a high gain amp, I use a Blackstar HT Dual pedal and plug into the Lo input.
The Boss essentially becomes a "noise gate loop".
The ISP is a much smoother gate but the both work very well.
Is there a particular question you have as far as using a gate in your setup?

I guess I'm wondering about the settings, how much NR to use, at what point do you have to back it off, are there NR pedals out there that work better than others (provide more NR without killing the signal...)

Actually I was just psyched to share what I found! :cool:

It's really just a compromise that you make. The more reduction you use the sharper the cutoff. With my Splawn, being such a high gain amp, I set it so that it quiets the amp but I still need to roll the volume back just a hair so it won't feedback. But once the gate closes its dead silent.
I feel that the ISP g-string is probably the best pedal gate out there.

Back