The Biking Thread

This past Saturday I was driving past a popular bike/hike paved trail and saw an older guy decked out in full kit riding a beat up beach cruiser. I had to do a double take.
I've ridden my carbon road bike with beach shorts and flip-flops on clipless pedals. So there's that.

Reactions: Tig
I've ridden my carbon road bike with beach shorts and flip-flops on clipless pedals. So there's that.

Dude actually had clipless pedals on his beater cruiser. I have to give him credit, I wouldn't want to horse that thing up the hills on the trial.

Stress relief between day job and night job last night.

image.jpeg

Just got back from a bike ride and I'm going to brag a bit cause I had the most epic long ride for me in a while...maybe ever. 62.6 miles in 16.7 mph :eek: that's nearly 1 mph faster than I have ever done that distance and I thought I was going to be slow because the wind picked up later in the ride and was a head wind. Almost Tig fast for me...I don't ride with anyone so no drafting opportunities and the ride was a relatively flat one only 3000' of climbing but no really big climbs (cat 2 or so) just a cat 4. Still I am pretty happy and I feel good too not particularly tired or sore legs.

:houra:

HullsGulch (1).jpg
I am in Boise the next couple days for seminars. Got in tonight and did a little foothills ride before sunset. Plan on doing the same after sessions tomorrow at the Table Rock area. Then Saturday morning hope to sample some of their more alpine terrain up near Bogus Basin ski resort. Here is tonight's sunset.

Last edited:
Just got back from a bike ride and I'm going to brag a bit cause I had the most epic long ride for me in a while...maybe ever. 62.6 miles in 16.7 mph :eek: that's nearly 1 mph faster than I have ever done that distance and I thought I was going to be slow because the wind picked up later in the ride and was a head wind. Almost Tig fast for me...I don't ride with anyone so no drafting opportunities and the ride was a relatively flat one only 3000' of climbing but no really big climbs (cat 2 or so) just a cat 4. Still I am pretty happy and I feel good too not particularly tired or sore legs.

:houra:
Those are called "Superman Days"!
desismileys_2227.gif

I ride a cruiser. It runs 29 inch cruiser rims and tires and let's adjust the seat so my legs stretch out and the gearing is nice for around town.

Could you ride a cruiser style bike? You sit pretty much upright in those.
86487891.jpg

No they aren't going to be good for long rides but you could still get out. There's an older fellow that rides one around here

Speaking of long rides (for me). I did 63.6 miles today just 0.2 miles short of my longest ride. It wasn't very hilly, only about 2930' of climbing but I felt pretty great at the end of it (except for my right foot that was killing me at the end, the bike shoes are just a bit too tight for my wide feet). My speed was very good for the distance I thought, 15.8 mph. It's the second time I did a metric century. Never going to be a big long distance rider but I was pleased with how good I feel afterwards

Tonight, Thursday night at Table Rock, Boise.

fda0efef6f52fd855cc7ecb638e2fa06.jpg

65ed49f0cd8f02caedc263aa4a9eadc9.jpg

3c1fcc96fde826a5eec72136a84c2d1b.jpg

And thirstday night at 10 Barrel brewing for dinner. Hanging out with the team riders in their way too tight kits. Wear some baggies for mountain biking boys!
a6f157d990932c90a86536c32ebf592b.jpg

Thank you for saving my brain, old friend. RIP, Mavic Syncro helmet.
29842392050_653361e31f_b.jpg

I never saw another one on any ride.
mavic-syncro-road-helmet-2015-silver.jpg

Time to shop for a new friend! :grin:

Thank you for saving my brain, old friend. RIP, Mavic Syncro helmet.
29842392050_653361e31f_b.jpg

I never saw another one on any ride.
mavic-syncro-road-helmet-2015-silver.jpg

Time to shop for a new friend! :grin:
Yikes! Wreck?? Do tell.

I have a helmet with dirt and rocks ground into the front foam, that saved my face and head from more serious damage. Helmets save lives! Wear one people!

Glad you were, Tig!

Reactions: Tig
Yikes! Wreck?? Do tell.

I have a helmet with dirt and rocks ground into the front foam, that saved my face and head from more serious damage. Helmets save lives! Wear one people!

Glad you were, Tig!

Yep, I took a sandy turn a bit too fast Sunday. I was racing my first MTB race in 10 years, Single Speed Cat 2/3, and near the end of lap 1 (9 miles per lap) I went BAM! It hurt my whole left side and left forehead, but I didn't feel anything too serious so I raced another 10 miles to the finish. I don't quit unless I really need to.

Ends up I have a non-displaced fracture in my upper left floating rib (T-11) and a mild concussion. I didn't feel disoriented until the next morning. I'm much better now and managed an easy 42 miles this morning. I never push outside of what is smart, but will test the waters a little. I'm not too worried about the rib, as this is my 4th rib fracture.

I had a video cam mounted on the stem and captured a few mid-crash screen shots.
This one is when the bike first started flipping and my mid-air body casting a crash-like-an-Egyptian shadow. :grin:
29511177053_1bf52613d6_b.jpg

This looks like the second bike flip or bouce.
29511643634_5ea98697f2_b.jpg

The eagle has landed!
29794369600_41c14e1c5a_b.jpg

Back