The August 2016 Recordingfest Reveal!

Gary Blanchard - both good songs - I like the minor chords and evolving pad on Come Into the Warm.

@Chicken Man

@Knox in Box : Great production, and the acoustic guitar sounds really good. I'm not familiar with the tune but I like it. I did not expect the drums etc. to come in (not being familiar with the tune). Cool! Great lead tone, Les Paul? How are you getting that lead tone? I like it!

That's my Harley Benton White ash tele with Tonrider hot classic pup into an OCD clone, then an EH Micro Q halfway through and then a delay at the end.

Smurfco - had not been keeping up on The Bird Index project - sounds really good - there is some Macca there, but if he were sitting in at a Radiohead session.

It must be my machine, but everything was glitchy AF when I tried listening.

Knox--I got through about 45 seconds before YouTube stutter got unbearable. I don't know that song at all, but I dig your version enough to look it up (when fucking youtube isn't too much for my laptop).
Gary--Your second song is surprisingly "out there", and works surprisingly well. Definitely in the spirit of, if not the sound of, Donovan. This is Mellow Yellow-esque in that sense.
Smurfco--Did you post a demo of this long ago? I'm always sure to check out stuff you post, and the first verse/intro sounds really familiar. The drum part during that section was too robotic for me, but the rest of the song is really... I was going to say lush, but that's not quite it. What's the word for full-sounding but still cold? Grainy? Anyways, it's a really evocative sound and a good fit for the song.
Ram--going to a SoundClick page was a real trip down memory lane for me. Unfortunately, the player doesn't work. I'll try later on another browser.

Gary Blanchard - both good songs - I like the minor chords and evolving pad on Come Into the Warm.
Gary--Your second song is surprisingly "out there", and works surprisingly well. Definitely in the spirit of, if not the sound of, Donovan. This is Mellow Yellow-esque in that sense.
That song is certainly different, and I think Chicken Man is right; there is certainly a Donovanish feel to it even if not directly like one of his songs. I am especially happy with the bass on this one. I have gotten to a place where I am okay with having some songs that will sound quite different live, and maybe some like this that maybe won't work live. Sonik has really helped me get the most from this music as well. Come Into the Warm is a great example of what good mixing and mastering can bring to a song.

I think you made an important statement above, Gary...IMO a recorded piece of music should have whatever orchestration it needs to make the song the best it can be. Whether that be bass, tambourine etc.
I think it's perfectly fine that a live performance is not "exactly" like the record. That's what makes it "live"!!! Anything can happen!!
I think both of the songs you posted would absolutely work in a live situation. They are what you make them, no matter the situation or circumstances.

I think you made an important statement above, Gary...IMO a recorded piece of music should have whatever orchestration it needs to make the song the best it can be. Whether that be bass, tambourine etc.
I think it's perfectly fine that a live performance is not "exactly" like the record. That's what makes it "live"!!! Anything can happen!!
I think both of the songs you posted would absolutely work in a live situation. They are what you make them, no matter the situation or circumstances.
I am coming to that place; for the longest time I would't add anything to recordings so I could do it "live." There are several songs now that I added parts to that won't exist live, and I'm okay with that.

Never finished the solo song I started. Been busy with a new band.
I will submit a song recorded last practice on the iPad.
I'm playing upright bass.

Chicken man: good strip down song, nicely recorded
Knox: nicely played, cool arrangement, excellent, Man!
Gary: simple life-as usual, good balanced recording, excellent folk fare, wonderful execution ...Come into the Warm: now I am digging this one, I really like the arrangement, instrumentation; I think this is the best one I've heard yet! Sweet, Man!
rsadasiv: B52's cover-SWEET!, that was well executed, took me back to my youth!
smurfco:Very Nice, bright, sweet arrangement, singing voice kudos!, good playing!...I am digging this!
Pine Apple Slim: Good Rockin Classic!

Gary: ...Come into the Warm: now I am digging this one, I really like the arrangement, instrumentation; I think this is the best one I've heard yet! Sweet, Man!
Thanks. I am beginning to expand my musical palate, and this really worked. I recorded it the day after I wrote it.

Your track had a wonderful, spacey feel that took me back to some of the 50s Ventures-type stuff, but with a more modern touch. Good stuff.

Pine Apple Slim - very nice "garage" recording. You can't go too wrong with Hank Williams.

Thanks Gary. It's garage alrite. I just sat the iPad down on a table and hit record. It is what it is.
Your stuff is is getting better and better. Really like both your entries this fest!

Thanks Gary. It's garage alrite. I just sat the iPad down on a table and hit record. It is what it is.
It works for the song and style, though I'd love to hear a more balanced recording; you guys seem to have a great style that I'd love. And thanks for the kind words.

I promise I'm going to get around to listening to these tonite, probably on my commute home. Last few days have been insane around my house. As has the last month.

Back