The 2016 Formula One Thread.

We'll see come next year, but Alonso's move from Ferrari to McLaren may have been the right one after all. It seems all Ferrari can muster is a 2nd or 3rd place car at best.
Or a Victory when Rosberg and Hamilton crash each other out... taking Ricciardo and Ver Stappen out in the chaos.

Heh...Rosberg looks like a driver who is desperate. That move he made on Verstappen was bush-league and merely reinforces the idea that his "brake issue" at Austria was more of a driver-sucking issue.

It also lends more credence to the thought that the crash at Spain was his fault, not Hamilton's.

Rosberg makes Hamilton look like a world-beater.

I wonder if Merc is going to be in the market for a real driver to back up Hamilton next year.

Rosberg is fast on a hot lap, but he lacks race craft when he's in traffic, something that Vettel seems to suffer from as well. This is where drivers like Hamiltion, Alonso and Verstappen really shine. They know what to do when they are racing wheel to wheel, and yesterdays race was a prime example of that. Rosberg would have made the pass stick if he had turned into the apex properly, he had the preferred line, newer tires, and a faster car. Max was starting to struggle with those tires. This is precisely why Hamilton has beat him over the last 3 years.

Red Bull have really made quite a surge, but I it appears that the close finish (only 6 seconds behind Merc) is an aberration since Hamilton was saving his engine. If he had been able to turn up the wick the gap would have been much greater (as Qualifying showed). Ferrari are completely out to lunch again. Time to move on to 2017 car.

McLaren have certainly made a lot of progress. They actually looked a bit racy again. I expect them to be very competitive next year.

Overall the race was OK. There were some nice passes, and the unexpectedly short life of the tires made for some interesting strategy calls, but the overall outcome was once again decided in the first turn of lap 1.

Yeah, another race that wasn't a race after turn 1. Old. Very old.

Rosberg had a guaranteed win if he could simply get off the line with a decent launch, but he totally FUBAR'd it and handed the victory over to Lewis on a Silver Arrow Platter. Then, he got desperate and stupid in an effort to try and force his way back.

I disagree about Vettel to a certain extent. No, he does not have Alonso's uncanny ability to race within a race, but he showed some truly amazing skills while at Red Bull when he found himself starting from the back of the grid or the pit lane. I recall several times that he almost effortlessly made his was through the entirety of the field from dead last and got a podium. He had a perfect car to do it no doubt, but it still took patience, skill and enough maturity to resist trying to gain it all in one lap. He can be a whiney little tyke for sure, but I hate to say it... he's the real deal.

Lewis is as bad or worse than Rosberg under pressure. How many times have we seen him completely lose his mind on track and end up in the fence with the several innocent cars/drivers he took out? He has matured a bit, but as soon as he is forced to deal with close competition he turns to mush. This is a guy who pulled into the McLaren Pit in his Mercedes... funny as that was, it showed a huge lack of concentration and awareness. It was nice of him to stop by during the race and say hello to his former crew though...

Neither Hamilton or Rosberg would have a shot at WDC if they weren't strapped into a car that out classes everything else in the field by a wide margin. Even when they are "winning", they can't keep from crashing each other out. Put a Vettel and a Ver Stappen in those Silver Arrows and watch that 30 second gap become 45 or more.

I'm just losing my love for the sport. I'm glad they lifted the radio ban, but the leadership is so confused, the rules so arbitrary, and the much sought after parity that never materialized have made it a challenge for the fans. Three straight GPs now that I have fallen asleep before lap 15. And that's watching them on the DVR in the middle of the afternoon. I used to brag about being such a fan that I went 3 straight seasons without missing a single race while it was being aired live regardless of time. No way I'm getting up at 3:30 AM these days for that shit.

I completely agree OGG. It has become very difficult to watch the races. If F1 wants to be relevant again they need (IMO) to do something to make the all teams have more of a chance. No I don't know how but it has been very boring the last few years when you can be sure that the car on the front of the grid will be the winner. The only races that have been any fun have been the ones were the leaders messed up (crashed or mechanical) and the backmarkers have had a chance to race. Most of the interesting racing in the last few years has been for the lower places not for the podium

I think the solution is to get rid of the in season testing ban. F1 has always had different tiers of performance between the teams, but at least if they could test there could be more opportunity for some of the teams to catch up. The only other way I see is to introduce a cost cap, but I think that will make things worse.

Honestly they need to ditch all this hybrid crap. It does nothing for the sport at all.

I think the solution is to get rid of the in season testing ban. F1 has always had different tiers of performance between the teams, but at least if they could test there could be more opportunity for some of the teams to catch up. The only other way I see is to introduce a cost cap, but I think that will make things worse.

Honestly they need to ditch all this hybrid crap. It does nothing for the sport at all.
Amen to getting rid of the hybrids. I fucking hate those things.

I'm really hoping next year's cars will be a big change for the better. Wider tires should help, but I don't think bigger wings are going to make passing easier. At least they're ditching the token system so maybe Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren can catch Mercedes.

I can't wait for the break to be over. My favorite race of the year is coming up next week.:spaz:
SpaFraMeme.jpg

I wonder how this would work today :eek:

Spa-003.jpg

Masta Kink
Not well.

Spa should be a fun race aside from the sure fact that the silver arrows are going to thoroughly dominate.

I think it should be contractually mandated that NBCSN brings Bob Varsha back every year just to sit in the coverage of Spa. NO ONE says "Spa Francorchamps" with the lyrical grace and diction of Mr. Varsha. Such pinaché

And the pilots was laid to da bone home!

A modern F1 car could easily take Masta flat. I have the '66 version of Spa in my racing simulator, and it's scary even in the virtual world. The guys who drove it in real life have the biggest balls in the world.

A modern F1 car could easily take Masta flat. I have the '66 version of Spa in my racing simulator, and it's scary even in the virtual world. The guys who drove it in real life have the biggest balls in the world.

I used to play GPL and it took me forever to be able to go through the kink flat. And there was no way to die...and still....:eek:

Well as usual, the Belgian Grand Prix did not disappoint. The first 10 laps were wild, but after the red flag it continued to by exciting with Hamiltion, Vettel and Raikonenn carving their way through the field. Verstappen is getting away with some crazy defending moves. That jink he did on Kimi at the end of the Kemmel straight may be legal, but it could have ended very badly for both of them had Kimi not backed out of it. The unusually hot weather caught everyone out too throwing a lot of strategy out the window.

Looking forward to Monza, the temple of speed!

Yeah, Verstappen's move was perfectly legal, but a bit dicey. His move on Kimi at Hungaroring, on the other hand, was totally illegal, and the stewards just looked the other way. I'm a big fan of the kid, but someone needs to calm him down before something terrible happens.

Glad to hear Magnussen's OK after that huge shunt. I bet he had some trouble getting out of bed this morning.

Reactions: OGG
Verstappen needs a good Verslappin'.

He's going to turn into the next Crashtor if they don't reign him in. Love the kids' abilities, but his head is loose.

Back