Going to buy an ISP noise gate. Which one do I need?

download.jpg

have you guys ever priced out a decent power conditioner? they are a lot more expensive than a noise gate. the "power conditioners" that are $100 or less aren't really power conditioners, they are just glorified power strips.

have you guys ever priced out a decent power conditioner? they are a lot more expensive than a noise gate. the "power conditioners" that are $100 or less aren't really power conditioners, they are just glorified power strips.

Every noise gate I have ever tried sucked the life out of my tone and I hate how they close and open. I would rather have the noise than use one of them that's just my opinion. There's only one club I've ever played where the wiring was an issue and using a guitar with humbuckers cured that.

Every noise gate I have ever tried sucked the life out of my tone and I hate how they close and open. I would rather have the noise than use one of them that's just my opinion. There's only one club I've ever played where the wiring was an issue and using a guitar with humbuckers cured that.

The one built into my amp has zero effect on the tone.

That's why I suggested the TC Electronics Sentry. It's a multi-band and that's all adjustable. You only kill the frequencies that are causing noise and you can let the rest ring out naturally.

Ok, Sweetwater finally got some in and shipped me one.

How do I hook this thing up?

I have a tuner pedal, this new Decimator II G-String, and a Fulltone OCD pedal.

I'm guessing that I plug my guitar into the tuner pedal > noise gate > overdrive > amp? The instructions say to place any gain pedals in front of the amp and DEC In on the noise gate. The DEC In and the DEC Out get hooked up thru the amps effects loop. And to place any delay pedals after the noise gate but before the loop return. The DEC In goes to the loop send of the amp, and the DEC Out goes to the loop return of the amp.

Kind of confusing, as you are plugging into the amp twice thru the Decimator G-String, once thru the regular in/out & into amp chain, and the 2nd time thru the amps effects loop.

Plug guitar>tuner>o d pedals/noise generating pedal>g string(guitar in)
G string(guitar out)>non noisy pedals/amp
Then
Fx loop send>Dec in
Dec out> pedals in the loop>fx loop return
That's my basic setup. Hopefully I didn't type it wrong
Run you reverb/delay in the loop after the gate so it won't cut off your trails.

I can use this setup with my Quickrod...gain dimed in gear 3 and I'm dead silent. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I need to kill the volume with the guitar knob to squelch The enviable feedback but that's par for the course with a high gain setup.

Plug guitar>tuner>o d pedals/noise generating pedal>g string(guitar in)
G string(guitar out)>non noisy pedals/amp
Then
Fx loop send>Dec in
Dec out> pedals in the loop>fx loop return
That's my basic setup. Hopefully I didn't type it wrong
Run you reverb/delay in the loop after the gate so it won't cut off your trails.
Ok, I finally had a chance to hook it up, and I have a question.

How do I find out if this thing is defective? I have it hooked up just the way you describe, which is how it states to do it in the manual, and it adds a hell of a lot more noise. The knob doesn't do anything to cut it.

edit: that is with the Fulltone OCD running. Noise, noise noise, and doesn't do anything to cut it, even with the knob all the way up. It's much quieter running guitar>OCD>amp than it is with the decimator hooked up :shrug:

Last edited:
Ok, Sweetwater finally got some in and shipped me one.

How do I hook this thing up?

I have a tuner pedal, this new Decimator II G-String, and a Fulltone OCD pedal.

I'm guessing that I plug my guitar into the tuner pedal > noise gate > overdrive > amp? The instructions say to place any gain pedals in front of the amp and DEC In on the noise gate. The DEC In and the DEC Out get hooked up thru the amps effects loop. And to place any delay pedals after the noise gate but before the loop return. The DEC In goes to the loop send of the amp, and the DEC Out goes to the loop return of the amp.

Kind of confusing, as you are plugging into the amp twice thru the Decimator G-String, once thru the regular in/out & into amp chain, and the 2nd time thru the amps effects loop.
In the above post you have it as "the instructions say to place any gain pedals in front of the amp and dec In on the pedal"

I use dec in/ dec out running to the loop. The signal in front of the amp should go

Guitar>tuner>ISP(guitar in)then

guitar out(ISP)>OCD>amp

Fx loop send>dec in
Dec out>fx loop return

Is that what you've got?

It just doesn't seem to be doing anything. Still noise when not playing, fiddling with the knob doesn't do anything.

Strange...I'm going to ask a stupid question but....you are stomping the pedal "on"....right?

You bought the pedal brand new?
And does your amp have an engage/disengage switch for the loop?
What amp are you using?

Yeah, it's hooked up with a wall-wart power supply. Red light comes on.

I was using my EVH 5150 III mini head.

Lotta noise with that amp, my house is 70 years old. Still quite a bit of noise with the ISP on, the knob doesn't seem to do anything to tame it. And like I said, if I stomp on the OCD, I get a bunch of noise, and it gets noisier turning the ISP ON (I had the OCD in front of the ISP… guitar>tuner>OCD>ISP>amp.

Doesn't really seem like the knob does anything to tame any noise. I bought it new from Sweetwater.

Ok we need to start from scratch. Remove all the pedals and only run the ISP. Guitar goes in guitar in...guitar out goes to amp input.
Amp send to dec in
Dec out to return.

Ok we need to start from scratch. Remove all the pedals and only run the ISP. Guitar goes in guitar in...guitar out goes to amp input.
Amp send to dec in
Dec out to return.
Damn, I'm glad I don't need one of those. Way too complicated for me.

:grin:

Damn, I'm glad I don't need one of those. Way too complicated for me.

:grin:
Yeah....this is a hot topic on a lot of forums. I participate in a couple of other guitar forums and easily, once a week somebody has trouble with this.

Back